Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anybody have experience embedding product in pop-up sponge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisProcess

Chemical
Jan 24, 2008
Hi,

I have been assigned to a new project which involves embeddeding an active solution in a pop up sponge.
The idea is that the non expanded sponge will contain the product and, when soaked with water, will expand to its full size ready for use with the product alrady in place.
Basically the idea is for a small, disposable sponge with product.

From my initial research, it would seem that such sponges are predominantly cellulose based. Perhaps compressed cellulose sponge is a more correct term than pop up. I found this online while researching:

"they are made by regeneration of cellulose from a derivative
(presumably cellulose xanthate), and that the holes are made by carring out the
regeneration in the presence of coarse sodium sulfate which is then leached out by water"

I also found this interesting link:

This post is really a bunch of questions in one.

I also posted this in a variety of places as I'm sure its not restricted to one particular discipline.
If there is a way to collate all of these into one thread then that would be great, but I'm not sure how to do that.
FYI my background is in Chemical and Process Engineering.

Firstly I would like to know if anybody can list some known suppliers of such products. I have accumulated 3 suitable vendors, but would appreciate many more.

Secondly, can anybody list the sponge and product properties that affect adhesion/retention of the product to the sponge. I'm thinking here of things like sponge material, surface area, particle size, viscosity, product state etc..

Thirdly, how are these pop up sponges manufactured? I ask this because I am uncertain as to whether it would be better to apply the product pre or post shrinking in the initial production stage. Does anybody have any idea about this?

Finally, does anybody have any recommendations for textbooks on this topic?

This is the initial stage of what I think could be a very interesting project. I'm only 2 hours into it now, but I've always found these forums a great resource. I am eager to learn as much as possible about this so all help is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back