Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Anybody use a Microscribe digitizer with SW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocko

Industrial
Jan 4, 2003
US
I was curious if anybody here has used the microscribe digitizer with SW, i know they have a plug in for sw but how well does the digitizer perform and how well or how easy is it to use the digitized software to actually make geometry. Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've got a cheap Aiptek digitizer for working in PhotoShop. I really don't use it for SolidWorks because I'm used to the simpler mouse--and also because it's 9" x 12"--fairly big for quick stuff in SW. It works fine.

(Not quite sure if that's what you were talking about.)

Jeff Mowry
Industrial Designhaus, LLC

I did a search on google and the microscribe digitizer seems to be some kind of tool to get existing "real-world" into your CAD-environment. I'm not a product related engineer but does this tool really work?? What will it produce? an imported model? I think it would really look kinda "Cool" with such a unit on my desktop :p

Oh, right--totally different thing than what I mentioned. Check out this month's edition of Cadalyst--there is a review on several such input devices--many are strange.

You'll need the May issue, which doesn't yet appear to be on-line:

Some such devices create point clouds--you'll need to find out if point clouds can be used effectively in SW. Otherwise, you can probably generate surfaces from the point clouds within Rhino, then export as an STL or IGES (which is all you could get out of such a device anyway) and import the surfaces into SW as a solid (or surfaces--whatever you prefer).

Jeff Mowry
Industrial Designhaus, LLC

The Faro products are porbably some of the best in this class. However your actual question seems to be right on the money. How do you get all the point cloud type data to turn into intelligent, accurate solid geometry? I don't think there is an ideal solution yet. Most of the reasonably successful products out there are pretty spendy. Take a look in the SW Partner listings.

John Richards Sr. Mech. Engr.
Rockwell Collins Flight Dynamics

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back