Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anybody use GEOPRO software? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CelticJam

Geotechnical
Sep 2, 2004
US
I am thinking of buying a geotechnical software suite. I don't use some of the programs in the GEOPRO suite but some may come in handy. Has anyone used the product and what do you think?

Thanks,
Kevin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use it and they work fine.
You may also want to investigate Ensoft software for more detailed analyses, and Civiltech software which is also pretty good.

EPR,
Thanks for the heads up on Civiltech and Ensoft. It seems like Lpile is the go to product for piles but I'm looking for a more everyday type software to generate data for residential and light commercial reports.

If you don't mind, what do you like and don't like about Geopro?

Thanks,
Kevin

Like about GeoPro:
Easy to use.
Quick, similar to using a calculator, as opposed to a software program.
Variety of computations for a reasonable price.

Don't like about Geopro:
Not very flexible.
Limited input & output.

For your purposes, it sounds like Geopro might be what you're after.

I am a structural, not a geotech, and I'm usually designing piles (lateral and vertical), sheeted excavations, bulkheads, etc., and that's why I prefer Ensoft and CivilTech. These provide me with more input flexibility and increased output for my analyses.

Interestingly, sometimes I use GeoPro for a preliminary modelling of the lateral pressures, so that I have a better feel for the forces involved.

We have a license for GeoPro 4 at our company and I never use it. I mostly do calcs by hand or use spreadsheets.

GeoPro just seems a bit amateurish to me. I would bet you could create your own spreadsheets that could output to nice report on your own.

For pile analysis, check out a program called Allpile from Civiltech.

We've been looking for some new software lately. Our computer guys are banning my old DOS Schmertmann settlement software even though it works great for my purposes and I've been using it for years. We've also been looking for a slope stability package too.

I just came across GEOPRO the other day. It seemed very reasonably priced (almost too reasonably priced). I thought I'd ask the Eng Tips pros about it, and after I did a search, I was happy to see that someone already had!

EPR and others gave some good comments, but I still need more convincing, I guess.

For those that have used it, how are the slope stability applications? How well does the flownet analysis do?

One big concern I had when I saw the price tag was that this suite was a collection of programs that have been written by a student somewhere and are untested. Have you found the output to be consistent with hand calculations? How reputable is this company (Datasurge)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back