Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anybody Used OpenCNC controls on CNC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not retrofit, but used it.
Open CNC's are used when you need to get some information right from the plc command (monitoring the operation). But open CNC is just the name, depending the supplier Fanuc as an exemple, the open archictecture is proprietary and if you need to comunicate with the plc you need his software or design you own driver to do this. In Siemens CNC comunicate is more simple because the command plataform is based on windons, which realy make the things easy to work on.
Biffi

OpenCNC is also a brand name for a specific CNC control package based on PCs running Windows. They claim to be less expensive and more flexible than the conventional CNC controls (ALlen-Bradley, Fanuc, et.al.) as well as the PLC running behind them.

I've had OpenCNC quote a retrofit for one of my more obscure machines, and I'm seriously considering it. Can't give you any feedback from a real-world experience, though. The one concern I remember having was that it was not compatible with the latest versions of Windows, but I could be wrong about this.

Now, I'm going to have to look into the Siemens package that Biffi mentioned.
I look forward to the rest of the replies.

Hello bvasa, thanks for your clarifications regarding our OpenCNC products at MDSI.

In answer to your question about OpenCNC running with Windows, OpenCNC is now also compatible with Windows XP.

In addition, MDSI began to offer complete hardware / software bundled solutions in the last year, including an embedded solution we are in the process of introducing.

Feel free to contact me directly for more information on these latest developments at lagyori@mdsi2.com. Thanks again for your interest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back