Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anybody Using the New AutoCAD LT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbendillo

Electrical
Jan 24, 2003
US
I was just curious if anyone was using the new AutoCAD LT. Is AutoCAD LT still set up where you cannot use AutoLisp or VBA? I wish they would create a version without 3D and with VBA or AutoLisp support that someone could afford.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you only use AutoCAD LT or do you have an old
version of AutoCAD? Even if you only have R12 but
with the right customization, you can do a lot of
2D/3D drawings in the electrical field.

Actually I use AutoCAD 2002 at work but would like to use it at home also. I don't want to go back to an old version of AutoCAD. I do not need any 3D capability. Strictly 2D for me. I just want to be able to do a couple of customizations and use some third party applications.

The difference in price is due to the interface capabilities. LT still lets the user work in and with 3D.
If you do program in VB and want some CAD capability that is not quite so expensive, you could look at VectorDraw. It is a component for VisuaBASIC that gives the programmer some control over CAD. The drawings can then be saved in DWG, DXF, or other formats.

I can't remember the names of the different ones I've run across, but I know that (at least for some of the older versions of AutoCAD LT, i.e. 2000) there are add-ons that you can get, that provide lisp support for LT. Haven't heard if they support the latest release or not.

I'm sure somoene else here can point you in the right direction, since I can't remember the names.

Sorry.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back