Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone else using FaroÆs new Laser Scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AccessoryGuy

Automotive
Apr 17, 2003
US
After years of reliable operation from Faro’s CMM Arm with a probe, my company chose to purchase their newer laser scanner CMM with the 6th axis. We have had nothing but trouble with calibrating the laser scanner end of this device and were wondering if anyone else reading this forum might have something to add.

The guys at Faro have always seemed to be straight shooters, but something tells me my firm has become their lab rats in trying to get this new technology to function on some reliable basis. Every 30 days, existing calibrations go sour as if they were perishable goods. Then we can’t get the new calibration to work without painstaking efforts or new drivers or head units from Faro. At one time we had 3 of their laser heads on sight and NONE of them worked. They have repeatedly given us new scanner heads and keep sending us new drivers, yet maintain a stance that many other firms are using this technology without problems. That is the part that really bothers me. I’m starting to think we were sold a bill of goods.

Can anyone share their experience with this Faro device, good or bad?

Thanks,
Scott

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I haven't used their scanner, but I've used their 'gold' 8ft arm. Our application was somewhat unique, they even wrote an article about it.

I agree that Faro's tech support was great. We had a lot of trouble with the computers they supplied but particularly the software. I had the feeling we were a test-bed as well. Steady stream of new drivers, software updates (frequently on hand labelled CD-ROMs FedEx'd overnight). At one point I had two touch-screen PCs and two lap-tops, half a dozen cable sets.

They certainly do everything they can to support you after the sale but I think they're selling the idea before the technology is fully in place to back it up.

*Without data, you're just another person with an opinion.*

Hydroformer

The only problem I've had is that they didn't have parts for an arm that was 10 years old. That was frustrating but it sounded like a supplier obsolescence issue. They did try to fix it and didn’t charge us when they couldn’t . So I would say they handled it as well as they could.

I haven’t used the laser but am glad to here about the teething problems it is having.

Just as a quick follow up: the scanner heads have very sensitive calibration and most calibrations will only last @ 30 days. It's like perishible goods! Turns out Faro provided inadequate instructions for the new calibration technique using a plate method. We were sent the plate and e-mailed instructions. No training was provided or suggested. We didn't know we were doing calibration incorrectly until the App Eng showed up. :-( We lost many production hours to this oversight on their part. There'll be hell to pay with the issue, if any.

Hmm no EDIT button here. I meant to say there'll be hell to pay with the NEXT issue, if any.

It turns out, we were very, very carefully following the written instructions for plate calibration which turned out to be both ambiguous and incorrect.

Thanks for the follow up. It is better to have complete information. Let us know next month if you still need a new calibration every 30 days.

Does it require a quick calibration every time it is turned on?

I'll get more information from my engineer most familiar with it. I think it needs a calibration every time we use it. If it won't calibrate using the method Faro suggests, we default to the previous calibration.

I hope you guys are still looking at this thread.
Ive had the Faro Platnum Scan arm with the laser for approx 9 months now. Calibration has been a pain, i agree. Once i perfected the technique, i havent had a problem. I would love to share the different techniques i use and give a helping hand. I have been strickly reverse engineering for a solid 6 months (after 3 months of trial and error) and everything is going well. Other than the different real life situations i come across that neither faro or geomagic has seen yet.
If someone would reply, Id love to help.

Thanks for the info. We were told an incorrect calibration method with the plate method. Faro apologized for the confusion and since then we have had minimal problems with our scanner arm.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back