Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone ever import a CADENCE Allegro PCB into SolidWorks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RawheadRex

Mechanical
Feb 9, 2001
US
Hi Folks,

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever import a PCB design (done in Allegro) directly into SolidWorks. If so what have you found to be the best intermediate format? Or what intermediate formats are available for export within the Allegro environment (e.g. IGES, STEP, etc.).

I've never done anything like this before and am in the dark. Any feedback would be appreciated greatly.

Best regards,

Chris Gervais
Application Engineeer
CADD Edge

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do this often to create form factors for PCB's, handheld devices and the whatnot.

I create gerbers from the Allegro file and then convert these gerbers to dxf (Allegro can output dxf's, but I use a package called ExcelCam when I get gerber sets to bring in each gerber layer and exprot them as dxf). Import the layers you need. The silkscreen layer is probably the most important with all the designators. I will import the soldermask layers, pastemask, the drill holes, and the outline. I will then take all the data sheets on the major components (connectors, switches, large caps, chips, screens....etc and create these parts. Or check 3d content central or contact the manufacturers for 3d models. Use all this to build up your PCB assembly using the silkscreen to locate the parts.

Sometimes I start the PCB in SW to place major components and get an idea of the size and then exprot the PCB and the footprints out of a drawing as a dxf.

RFUS

I have used CircuitWorks, a SolidWorks add-in to bring Allegro (Cadence) files into SolidWorks.

You export the Allegro data as an IDF file (there are actually two files) and then use CircuitWorks to import the data into SolidWorks which builds a 3D model of the board.

I've never had cause to use it but SW05 opens IDF (*.emn, *.brd, *.bdf, *.idb) files.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites FAQ559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions FAQ559-1091

I have recently started using CircuitWorks in SldWrks 2006 for IDF import from Altium. Once you get the parts library set up it is very usefull for enclosure design and fit verfication. Also export IDF PCB profiles and MCAD component locations back to ECAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back