Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone familiar with small actuators? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

beegw

Mechanical
Nov 23, 2010
US
I am looking for an application (military spec) of an electrical/mechanical switch actuator. It needs to move about .1" at the most. Looking for something less than 1"x1"x1" in volume, preferably even smaller. I want it to move .1" with power and once in place no power is necessary to keep it there, it would latch or similar. And once moved back to .0" it would also not need power after being moved. Perhaps this is like power locks in a car.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

beegw,

Have you tried this?

Critter.gif
JHG

Other search terms might be "latching relay" or "latching solenoid". Not clear if you just need to switch electrical current on/off, or physically move something 0.1". If the latter, what force must be overcome, how fast must the actuator move, limitations on voltage, current, power draw; or if hydraulic/pneumatic, line size, pressure...

"Perhaps this is like power locks in a car."

Dunno. Is it? Go down to a junkyard and tear into a car door.

Make sure it is a very small car if the door lock actuator is to fit in a 1" cube. Typical size is about the length of a pen and shaped kinda like a pistol.

A typical hobby solenoid (from RC airplance, gas powered RC car, basically any high and RC vechicle) should do the trick, if you're ok with the movement being an arc. Should be close to your 1" cube limit but I bet there are small ones available.

Alternately, if you want to start from scratch, most worm gear driven mechanisms will meet that requirement. Just need a small motor with adequate torque.

What is the force that the actuator need to exert at a distance of 0.1"?
How fast the actuator should be? (time to move 0.1" under the force)
What is the maximum current your system can supply?
What is your system voltage supply?
If it is for military application I have doubts you will find an off the shelf such actuator, you will probably need to have it custom made/developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back