Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Anyone familiar with this marking for a steel beam? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

clenon

Structural
Aug 2, 2022
US
Got a family friend that has these beams on hand and wants to use them in a project.
steel_beam_mark_oiqwdp.png

Looks like ASU BIR but some of the letters are backwards. Worst comes to worst I can measure out the dimensions of it, but the lack of knowledge on the material is more concerning and something I'm hoping to get from this mark.

Anyone seen this before?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Aha you're right! Picture was definitely taken from the wrong side of the beam. Maybe just a manufacturer, google doesn't turn anything up though. Will keep digging with that.

Are there any other rolling marks? Measure the depth, the flange width and thickness and determine the web thickness. Then check the AISC data base to try to determine the rolled shape. If there are lots of them and you are serious, then take a coupon and determine the type of steel... Calculate the resisting strength strength from the AISC properties. If not critical, assume the fy of the steel is about 30ksi and start building. For simple projects only... not serious ones. If a serious one, look up a local structural guy...

He tried to, but he couldn't read it too clearly... [lol]

So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Why such a terrible picture?

What sort of beam is this?

I hope the project is rather low grade...

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Car port with a deck on top. Would typically do this all out of wood with some LVLs instead of the steel beams but they want to use these beams they got at the scrap yard for some beams/columns. So yeah, pretty low grade. I have more pictures of the beams, this was just the one where the mark was most visible. (and I used snipping tool so that probably degraded it further!)

The letters are of little consequence. If you get measurements of the depth, flange width, and flange thickness, you can probably find the size/designation from a table. If it's fairly old, but you don't know how old, you may have to assume 33ksi yield strength. For a beam rolled in the last 50 years, I think you could safely assume 36ksi.

Rod Smith, P.E., The artist formerly known as HotRod10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back