Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone know anything about Heads Up Displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

msprayberry

Electrical
Aug 23, 2002
US
Here is what I would like to do.
1. create a system that will project an image onto a normal pair of sunglasses or regular glasses.
2. information will be transmitted from a normal RCA output.
3. must be small enough to conceal (don't want to look like a cyborg).
4. Image must be transparent do not want to cut down on the ability to see what is in front of the user.

If anyone has any information or a direction to point me in that would be great.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. create a system that will project an image onto a normal pair of sunglasses or regular glasses.

>> Almost impossible to do. Some sort of optical system is projecting from outside of the line of sight of the glasses. This requires either the classic IHADSS combiner or something like conventional gaming glasses. Olympus makes a very nice and compact design, but not see-through:
but it's apparently not available in the US.

2. information will be transmitted from a normal RCA output.
3. must be small enough to conceal (don't want to look like a cyborg).
4. Image must be transparent do not want to cut down on the ability to see what is in front of the user.

Desire is nice, but reality is more like:

TTFN

The last posting shows an updated version of the US Army IHADSS, BUT uses a strictly reflective fold mirror instead of a semi-transparent mirror as in the IHADSS.

That means that unlike the IHADSS, wherein the display is superimposed over whatever your looking at, the MicroOptical SV-3 occupies a field of view of about 16°x12° in your eye's field of view, so you won't be able to see what's behind the display, although your other eye still has full field of view.

Note also, that the SV-3 projects THROUGH one's eyewear.

TTFN

I have a thermal infrared camera that I hope to employ for search-and-rescue operations related to the Coast Guard Auxilliary and it came with both a TV and a heads up display.

While the TV works the heads-up display, originally manufactured by Delco, is lacking the combiner.

Would anyone know where I might be able to purchase one new, used, or if it is possible to create a replacement after the fact?

Thank you.

The link from Labgeek is one possibility, but as I mentioned, it's opaque, so it's not a true combiner.

There were a couple of possibilities when I looked last year, but the market keeps changing, so you'll probably need to do a websearch. There was a laser based system that looked promising.

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back