Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Anyone know of a part equivalent to.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

deef

Electrical
May 27, 2007
FR
Hey everyone.

I thought I'd offer this question to the collective genius that is Eng-Tips.

Basically, I've found a part that's perfect for my design. It's manufactured by a company called Mill-Max ( and it's basically an aluminum pin-standoff. The only problem is they were quoted to me at $0.47 each. That's not such a fun number when you're planning on ordering 8000, on a budget. To be honest, it also seems wildly over-prices, but I digress.

Here's the details of the part:

Mill-Max P/N: 2650-0-00-80-00-00-33-0
Here's a direct link to a CAD drawing:
Basically, I'm looking for something with similar dimensions and style, but maybe offered by a different manufacturer. Hopefully, something a little cheaper than $0.47/ea. I don't have an exact number in my mind so throw your part suggestions out there and we'll see what happens!

Thanks a bunch everyone,
deef

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

They want 47 cents, per pin, at a quantity of 8000.

8000pcs @ 47cents/ea = $3760.00USD total.

This is way beyond what I had intended to pay.

I noticed that the gold-plated version are available for sample, and the matte-tin you specified is not. This may be a good indication that Mill-Max has not had request for the matte-tin. Did you try getting a quote for the "15" - 10u gold over nickle? Both are RoHs.

8000 is very small quantities for this type of component. You sometimes have to determine where the volume is, and adjust your design accordingly. You may find that gold cheaper than tin!

yes, try gold as comcokid suggested.
As long as your required standards allow it.
Example..I can't use any gold parts unless the mating part is gold also as required by Telcordia GR-78 standards.

Thanks for all your suggestions, people!

To answer some of your questions, the prices I mentioned in my above posts were from distributors. I was quoted from three distributors and all came in at about the same price -- unfortunately for me.

As for material, so long as it's solderable I'm happy. The intention was to solder the "head" of these pins to a PCB and have them stand vertically, perpendicularly to the surface of the board. So, gold is an option. I never thought of that.

I understand that 8000 is a small quantity for this type of part, but this is a somewhat limited production run and I'm bound to 8000pcs, 11000pcs max. My main issue is price. I was really surprised by the cost of these little pins. The total cost for manufacturing a board (assembly, parts, labour) comes in somewhere around 21 dollars. Adding these pins alone will add another 20 dollars in parts cost alone, let alone labour for connections. That's really an unacceptable situation. But hey, that's always how it goes, eh? :p

I'll be looking into those alternatives you guys mentioned (sreid, mcgyvr)

I really appreciate it, guys. And if *any* other suppliers come to mind, please let me know about it.

Thanks again,
deef

Any particular reason you need this specific type of pin? They sell surface mount header pins, so no drilling and you get perfect spacing.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

another

and yes as said above there are thousands of pins like what you want. It just all depends on the end use of these pins.
(board stacking/wire wrapping/etc...)
There are companies that make compliant pins where you just insert them into a thru hole and no soldering is required.
zierick has automated machines that can place these pins automatically all over a board (and they can actually give you a quote to take your bare boards/place the pins and send them to you preassembled.)

Is there a common spacing between pins or are they randomly spread around the board?

When your looking at machined pins like that the cost can be a little pricey. If I need something like that I would make sure its all spaced evenly (.100 centers) and use Samtec/Molex headers,etc..

Deef,
Just for kicks Im getting a quote from one of our distributors that has a good rep with Millmax.
Ill let you know what I can get them for for reference.

macgyvers2000: No reason, particularly. A surface mount pin header would work equally as well. I'm just looking for two, single row of 20 pins, 0.100" spacing between the pins. I'll look into this as an option as well. Going the route of surface mount pin headers will probably lower the cost significantly. Thanks!

mcgyvr: There is a common spacing between my pins, 0.100". I'll definitely explore a specialty pin-header now that you've mentioned it. Also, let me know what you come back with from your contact with mill-max (if possible), now you've made me curious. Haha.

I have a feeling we're getting closer to a solution, awesome!

Thanks again,
deef

Check out Digi-Key, part #WM17448 (Molex #68301-1013). That's a single-row, 0.1" spacing, gold-plated SMD header, 8-pin. I didn't check the Molex website, but they may sell longer strips. There are also 20-circuit dual-row SMD headers (like the WM17464/15-19-0200). If you don't mind losing a bit more board space and hand soldering, go with a right-angle connector and possibly save some more dough.

Any of these options should bring down your per-pin price to under $0.10/pin in bulk.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

The price from our distributor for your exact millmax part quantities 1 to 9,999 pcs is $.35 each
If you buy 10,000 they are $.19 each
I'd give your distributors hell.

also if its common spacing look at Samtec
I bet you could get a 10 pin header for 19 cents (well I bet I could get one for 19 cents, your distributor it would be 75 cents :) )ha ha ha

Samtec is a great company, samples in a couple days, production quantities in 1-2 weeks MAX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back