Anyone know what this is??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Builder604

Civil/Environmental
Jan 26, 2006
US
getfile.aspx

It just had a wooden top and there was not indication where the three inlets are coming from or where the 4" outlet was going. This was in a NC coastal county. Any direction would be appreciated. There were two identical boxes like this on opposite sides of an existing building.
Thanks,
Phillip

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know, but I would guess it is some sort of water sampling box. Although the inlet pipes look very small could they come from roof drains or possibly floor drains in the building? It has a v-notch weir so calculating the flow rate would be possible. It would also give you a good sampling point as whatever the source pours over the weir. My guess is storm water sampling box at maybe an industrial facility that would allow you to determines what types/quantities of metals and/or hydrocarbons are washed off of the roof surface in a storm event.

kind of looks like a toe drain with v-notch weir to measure seepage. I have seen similar at the downstream toe of dams

The V notch weir provides fairly accurate method of measuring flow, The white PVC pipe in the corner is a stilling well to smooth out the level in the upstream area of the box, (I assume it has an open bottom or slots in the pipe) inside that pipe a level transducer would be installed and connected to a recording device. thus the flow would be from the 3 pipes to the large outlet in the floor on the near side

It is not a grease trap otherwise it would have an inverted baffle wall, solid on the top and open at the bottom, grease floats.

Hydrae

If I had to guess, I would say it is some sort of flow meter / distribution box for the building's septic system. Judging by the water mark on the face of the v-notch weir I would say the flow is from the 4" to the three-hole side. The three pipe may lead to leach lines. The vertical PVC is "baffling" but might have be an observation port to allow someone to check the leach line backwater without opening the cover. Is there a sewer line coming out of each side of the building, and from the 4" side? If you can't see the sewer drain leaving the building, you should flush the toilet and/or run the sinks, and watch for the inflow a minute or two later.

(I'm sure it is not a grease trap or septic tank.)

I found out that it was a flow box that the stormwater research group at NCSU BAE used to monitor the permeable pavers that were installed near the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back