Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Anyone recommend a subscription service for specs? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

apdesign

Mechanical
Aug 21, 2006
Hi folks...I run a small design services firm. Since I'm "cutoff" from any big company's engineering library, I find myself in a bit of a pickle for getting the latest material, etc specifications.

Can anyone recommend a subscription service (or pay per download) that allows me to download from a LARGE # of worldwide specifications?

I'd like to be able to download things like:
ANSI
ASTM
EC directives.

Can anyone recommend a service that they've been happy with ...and if you know the ~ monthly price that would be great also.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've always had good luck with IHS.com

You can pretty much get any spec you need and taylor a subscription service for the types of document you require. I think they will also fax or e-mail you documents on a pay per document fee as well. Not sure of the exact price but I beleive you're talking in the few thousand to 10K or more for unlimted use of ANSI, ASME, MIL-Specs and the like.

IHS is definitely the source with the most extensive collection. I recommend that you talk to one of their sales people to understand the exact type of products that are available. In many instances, their service can be tailored so that you can purchase only the standards that you need, and therefore save some money.

TVP and WINPOP123,

IHS looks quite good, though a bit tough to negotiate the site. I tried looking for something simple like ASTM A 653 (glavanized sheet) and came up with nothing. Is it finicky about search terms?

rb1957,

Yes ASSIST is very good (and free) for MIL specs, but what about ANSI, ASTM or other non-governmental specs? I don't think they're available thru ASSIST.

Tom

IHS is pretty much the only game in town worth talking about. However, we discontinued IHS because we felt it to be too expensive. For most of the standards, ANSI, ASTM, etc., you can buy them directly from the organizations. If you're a member, you'll usually get a discount. Since you probably don't want to pay for IHS' profit margin, the direct route might be the cheapest.

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back