Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone running SolidWorks on a Mac? 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmm

Mechanical
Jan 11, 2002
US
Anyone running SW via Boot Camp or Parallels? I notice someone posted this question mid last year. Currently only Mac Pro has a SW-certified graphics card (Quadro FX 4500) as an option, but I'd rather use the cleaner iMac or a Macbook Pro if I could get away with it. The thought of specifying another piecemeal Wintel box at work makes me cringe now that I've experienced Apple. If on SW ran natively on OSX...

Chris Montgomery
Mechanical Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have been using my Macbook Pro 17"(Core 2 Duo 2.33 GHz, purchased December 2006) with 4 gigs of RAM for about a year and a half now. I chose to purchase an Apple when they had sufficient compatibility with SolidWorks through Boot Camp. At the time I was buying, it beat out all of the Windows notebooks in the same price range.

For non-SolidWorks work, I use OS X. I had been exposed to OS X and OS 9 during high-school architectural CAD training, but never worked on a Mac operating system for any extended time. All of my personal computers were Windows based. Learning to use OS X effectively took me a couple of weeks. I found myself digging too deep to find options that were actually right under my nose. I was used to right-clicking my way through a tree of menus to find the option I wanted. In OS X, the options were all where I would have looked first if I hadn't developed my habits in Windows. I find the tightly integrated package of day-to-day software (Mail, Safari, iCal, Address Book) easy to use. Microsoft Office 2004 or 2008 are pleasant to use. The only thing I can't do in OS X SolidWorks.

I am currently running SolidWorks Office Premium 2008 SP3.0 on Windows XP Pro SP3. I dual-boot using Boot Camp. The SolidWorks performance is exactly the same as on a similarly equipped Non-Apple notebook running Windows XP. Because the Macbook Pro doesn't use an integrated graphics processor, it is significantly faster than the Macbook for 3-D software. Mine has the ATI X1600 256MB graphics card in it, which runs relatively large assemblies well (several hundred parts). Medium-sized in-context assemblies using a top-down approach don't bog the system down, and PhotoWorks renders at megapixel resolutions are in the 5-10 minute range.

At this point, if you compare hardware accurately between Windows notebooks and Apple notebooks, pricing should not differ significantly. What I gained by going with the Apple is an operating system that suits my non-CAD needs better than Windows, and has been incredibly stable. I also gained more attractive hardware that I find more pleasing to work with day-to-day. Battery life is better than comparable notebooks, and the whole package is half as thick as competing units. I have not noticed any incompatibilities or detriments when compared to running XP on any other computer.

I hope this contribution is helpful.

I have been running SolidWorks 2007 Education Edition on my MacBook Pro (aka MBP with (2.33Ghz with 4gb ram and the standard radeon 1600 graphics card) via Parallels for about a year and I DO have some video glitches. First off, let me say that I do not believe the glitches have ANYTHING to do with the fact that I'm running Education Edition at all. I believe the SolidWorks distributor when they tell me that the only differences between my Education License and the Commercial License are: #1). when I print a drawing there is a watermark placed on it that reads "Education license only", #2). my version is always the previous version which means it's 6 months older than the most recently released commercial version, and #3). it cost $300 versus $$k. Here are the glitches: First, it runs slow. Yes, slow. Even with 4gb ram and small part-count assemblies (<<50 parts in most of my assemblies), and second: pop-up windows that ask crucial questions or choices during operation DO NOT COMPLETELY APPEAR on my screen. That means I can't see what the window says. I only see part of it.

I am running Widows XP 2002 Service Pack 2 on Parallels (Desktop 3 Build 5608 June 9 2008). The virtual machine recognizes my computer as an Intel Core 2 CPU T7600 @2.33GHZ using 1.36gb ram (that's the max allowable that parallels will let the vm use out of the 4gb I have installed)).

I've seen other posts on this site from people stating that SolidWorks is "flying" with a similar setup (or even less ram than I have) as mine.

Can anyone please suggest what I may do to improve this. I use SolidWorks quite a bit and do not want to stop using my Mac (I recently switched from using Windows/Office completely, to buying a MBP and using Mac/Apple/OS X for the majority of my applications.) I'm not a mac zealot, but I do like it more than Windows enough to not want to give it up. I use Windows still in the Parallels VM because my colleagues all use it for Word, Powerpoint, and Excel. So, even though I'm liking Mac more and more, I really can't afford to ditch Windows/Office completely.

Please help me run SolidWorks better on my MBP using Paralles.

There was an excellent post by someone

I believe it's impossible to replace the internal graphics card on a mbp. Can you prove that wrong, or have any other suggestions as to settings I may try?

thx
Dave

@dcavalie

Your hardware seems fine, its your software that is causing the problems.

When you run SW on Parallels, you are essentially running a program (SW) on a operating system (Windows) on a program (Parallels) on a operating system (OSX).

With so much going on, the program will run a little slow, and there will be some data "lost in translation."

If you dual boot Windows (Bootcamp), Windows will be running nativly on your machine, just like any other laptop.

This should ease your troubles. Im surprised you were successful at all with your current setup...

PS just a little more on the "mouse issue"... Mac OSX has built in drivers for nearly every mouse (USB and bluetooth) in existance. If you have a mouse out there you just cant let go of, itll work on your Mac. Also, if you are worried about having it around when you are doing CAD, you are still running windows, so your driver software can be installed...

Here's an odd one posted by Josh at SolidSmack:

As he says, "This will show you how to get SolidWorks with RealView up and running on your MacBookPro within Microsoft Vista."

MacBookPro + SolidWorks + RealView + Windows Vista. Huh?

I'm curious to know of anyone willing to try it. I plan to stay away from Vista entirely, and I'm not sure why you'd want to pay Mac prices to run a Windows OS for SolidWorks--after all, much of the value is with the Mac OS, right?

Jeff Mowry
A people who value security over freedom will soon find they have neither.

I hate my windows box. I was just perusing the apple site and saw the glory of the new Octo Core Mac.

It can support 4 quadro cards if you want, and run 6 30" Apple cinema displays. Imagine the size of desk you'd need for that!

Starts at $2700

Who's going to take the plunge first?

60% of the time, it works every time.

A note to add.

I'll be having a look at a new Octo core Mac Pro this weekend and doing a benchmark test with Solidworks 2007.

Anybody have anything they want me to check out when I do the test?

60% of the time, it works every time.

I just installed SW 2008 on a simple little macbook, running XP. I'm very pissed off. I own two SW approved windows based work stations, with killer graphics cards (my desktop has 512M of video ram) and this little macbook loaded my 400 part assembly, panned rotated a worked about as well! WTF! is it possible that a mac runs windows better than a PC? My next machine will be a mac, i think.

So you have a fresh install of both XP and SW and are getting good results. Tahs's no real surprise. If you do the same on your desktops they will probably give better results also.

Nowadays a Mac is basically the same as a PC. You are still running SW on Windows.

You have given far too little info on comparative specs to allow valid system appraisals. Video RAM is not the be all and end all of system performance.

CPU type and speed, amount and type of RAM, VM, size and type of HDD, video cards, etc, and how they are all set up will dramatically affect performance.

[cheers]

Hi,

I'm running solidworks 2008 on a 2.2 Ghz 4Gb Macbook Pro. It works fine with Bootcamp and also fine but a little slower with VMware Fusion; however whenever I swop between BC and VMF Solidworks needs to be activated as it thinks the hardware has changed. Does anyone know a fix for this problem please?

Cheers

I have been running SW on my MacBook Pro for about a year using Parallels. There is only one flaw: some of the pull down menus in SW do not fully appear on the screen. This would be a show stopper for someone new to SW. But, for an experienced user, it's just a minor inconvenience since that person is already familiar with what the pull down menu fields should be. I have gone back and forth between using Boot Camp or Parallels to run SW. And although SW probable runs better in Boot Camp, I find that I don't want to have to reboot in order to get out of/into SW.

Man, this thread won't die. I read through it and must retract my statement about Vista from almost two years ago.

Windows 7 baby! SW 09 will run on the windows 7 beta.

I'm on the orphaned bastard child of Windows, XP x64, and am living comfortably, but will not ever be going to Vista (although I did by my girlfriend a laptop with it). I'm planning on getting the Windows 7 beta going on it's on Sata drive shortly. You can sign up to get on beta, or you can get the underground torrent installs.

Have fun with the Mac's Apple fanboi's. I'm a PC.

rfus

I run an intel mac with few problems running SW2009
I also know a lot of other artists and designers that do this. It has its advantages and disadvantages like the graphics card is a pain to update and you have to hunt the forums. However it works fine on my dual screen mode with the extra one being a 30inch cinema display. The lack of the right open gl is a pain but i tweaked that and while I dont get the fancy glowing edges it is crisp and clear. What is awesome is that I get both worlds of software and benefit from them both on one laptop. Yes the right click is a pain but download applemouse. or get an extra usb mouse.

I am curious about the future with win7.

also if you really want a steller laptop for SW I would get something else but for general part creation small assemblies its great.

Since this thread is still around, (and I've been MIA from the site for too long) I just wanted to update things, and mention that I'm still running SW 2007 on my Macbook Pro, but am now using Parallels 4.0. Video response is much faster than when running under 3.0, once your assemblies get to be big. I haven't upgraded to SW2008, or 2009, as I've read too many horror stories, and our engineering group is sticking with 2007 for now.

I'm glad to see people running 2009 on a MBPro. I may have to try that myself.

-Tony Staples

Running Solidworks on a MAC using Bootcamp.
I have an all-in-one MAC which I am very happy with.
Specially since it ran right out of the box plus does not need IT to maintain running it.

I have used Autodesk Mechanical Desktop for 3D Solids modeling in the past through Windows. Now, I'm considering buying Solidworks and running it through Windows XP on this MAC. An individual at Apple cautions that they have seen problems with remote devices through the Firewire or USB ports. I was planning on buying an external hard drive which would run through the USB ports.

Any input from anyone?

WOW. This post sure has a ton of info. I'm a bit new to this "threadding" so i apologize in advance if I break any of the rules...

I have a MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz C2D with 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM with a GeForce 8600M GT [VRAM (Total):128 MB]

I am looking into running Solidworks 2007 on Windows XP via Bootcamp. I have not installed XP or SW yet. Although RealView looks awesome, i am not too concerned about not utilizing it. I have some questions though... (some of which seem to have been answered already, but I'm gunna ask anyways hoping to have a reliable & helpful person respond)

1)Does my set-up seem powerful enough (say 400 part assemblies)?
2) Does SW need to have Office installed to function?
3)What is a recommended partition size if the only plan is to run SW via Bootcamp?
4) I am planning on sharing SW files with other people who use non-MACs. Will any data get lost or confused?

Thanks in advance for any help. I might have more questions later ;)

vince

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back