Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone running with an AMD FX-74

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdybeck

Mechanical
May 14, 2003
US
Is there anyone running a system for SolidWorks using the AMD FX-74? It seems that this chip performs well on a number of benchmarks, even against the Intel Core2 Duo processors. Could anyone provide performance numbers? The upgadability of the FX-74 could be tempting (4X4 platform that could be configured with either 1 or 2 FX-74 chips now with 2-4 cores and 4-8 cores later when next generation quad core chips come out). I know that generally the Intel Core2 Duo chips perform really well and have a great price/performance ratio, but I am looking to get a little more longevity out of systems we will be purchasing. If I could provide an avenue to make a very affordable upgrade a year or two from now, then the AMD chips may swing in our favor if performance is not hampered against the Intel Core 2 Duos.

Pete

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

pdybeck,
Looks like that processor is still real new. From the AMD sight they only listed one motherboard for that processor as of now.

You can order a system like this through @XI. There are 3 motherboard options with them. One of them has 2 CPU sockets for the AMD "4X4" setup.

I am interested in seeing the numbers for the FX-7X series from AMD because they use the socket 1207 (F) from AMD. I believe the Agena FX chips to be released later this year could be a drop in replacement for the FX-7X series. Its a bit of a crap shoot to expect the Agena FX chips to be best chips on the market when they come out. The benchmark numbers for the Core 2 Duos are impressive. I don't really expect the FX-7X chips from AMD to outperform the Core 2 Duos, but if they are close enough and when the Agena FX chips come out they prove to be better than the Core 2 Duos, then an AMD system may prove to be better for longevity sake. Seems like everyone is forgetting about AMD for the time being and almost all the benchmark results are from Intel machines or slighlty older AMD systems. Anna, I will look into asking some questions from @ XI. I did just find this...

and this...

(look at Dec 18th entry)

The prices from @XI are pretty good for a system based on the FX-7X series even with 2 dual core chips (4 cores). A system like this could easily be upgraded to 8 cores later down the road with the Agena FX chips. I know SolidWorks doesn't make tremendous use of multicore hardware, but it does seem that drawings do. Our biggest slowdowns are our large assembly drawings. I have also recently purchased and upgrade to Premium for one of our network seats, so we will be using Cosmos more and more. Cosmos will take advantage of multicore. I also do renderings from time to time, so the idea of 8 cores is nice. Like I said, bit of a crap shoot at this point in time. Would be nice if I could confirm the performance increase expected in Agena FX. AMD has been a little tight lipped on this. They have made some press statements saying that it will beat the Core 2 duos, but there is no proof of that yet...

This inquiry has stemmed from slowdowns we have seen on our largest assembly drawings in 2007 as compared to 2006. It is pretty significant. More recent hardware helps, but it may be an issue that is corrected in SP4 of 2007. I don't think we are supposed to list an SPR #, otherwise I would... I will download and install and see if SP4 gives us some temporary relief. That could enable us to hold off until the picture gets a little more clear...

Pete

pdybeck,

Only one of the listed motherboards will take the 64 FX-7X procesors, the other motherboards are socket AM2 boards so you would need to pick the ASUS with the L1 cpu sockets.

For the overall snappyness (and proven by my SPECapc SW2007 cpu scores) you would better get an E6600 and overclock it some. All E6600s will do 3200MHz rock stable (been running mine @3200 for more than 6 months now), some go over 3800MHz stable! Alltough I like the overall concept of AMDs Athlon64 much better it is way outclassed by the raw single thread performance of the Core2 Duo.
For rendering the Q6600 would be a viable alternative, a good 50% faster than the 3.2 GHz C2D.

Stefan Hamminga
EngIT Solutions
CSWP/Mechanical designer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back