Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone see the salaries being offered in Australia? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

razzy

Civil/Environmental
Sep 13, 2005
US
I am a civil designer/CADD manager with over 10 yrs experience. Like another poster below, I have been checking out Australia and the job market there. I did a search of Brisbane engineering jobs and was pretty astounded at some of the high wages they are willing to pay over there for people that do my specific job.

Keep in mind that 40,000 American dollars equals about 34,000 Australian dollars. So from that standpoint, the salaries seem that much higher. And the taxes, all in all, are only slightly higher compared to the US. Check out this chart...
Brisbane isnt particularly expensive to live in either. Nothing like Sydney.

Anyway, I did a search of Brisbane Australia jobs. Here is the link...

On the third page of that link, they had some civil tech cadd jobs paying "64-79k" a year, or "69-70k" a year, etc.

This ad here looks particularly illustrative of how good the market might be for a civil CADD tech person in Australia...

AutoCAD Draftspersons - Any level, start ASAP in Brisbane.
Leading multi-disciplinary/cultural Engineering Consultants
High-Profile Civils/Highways projects in Queensland
Permanent or Temporary roles available
Our client is one of the leading engineering and development consultancies in the world. Over the last several years they have been consistently ranked in the annual survey listings of the US technical publication Engineering News-Record and in 2001 was listed in the top 80 in their listing 'The Top 200 International Design Firms'. Providing multidisciplinary consulting services in engineering, project management, environmental science and development activities, this Australian-owned group has been engaged in assignments throughout the world for 30 years.

They now URGENTLY seek over 10 AutoCAD draftspersons, preferably with Civils & Highways experience to detail Design Engineering projects in their very busy Brisbane office.

Basic requirements are a proficiency with AutoCAD, or similar Civils drafting software, and the motivation and team work to deliver an abundance of drafting work that passes through this office daily.

They are willing to train the less than experienced but only for highly motivated technicians looking to develop their career in this challenging field.

Sponsorship can also be provided for applicants looking to emigrate to Australia but again only for the dedication as mentioned above.

Our client has a very multicultural workplace and would welcome applications from experienced AutoCAD technicians with relevant Civils/Highways projects from any part of the world.

Brisbane is particularly busy at the moment and looks to continue for a number of years. Now is the right time for a move to the Sunny City for the right blend of challenging, high-profile projects and excellent social life.

Remuneration dependent on level of experience and would consider permanent or temporary staff as necessary.

Any thoughts on this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Greg,

Yeah, college just wasnt for me at that age. I am sure I could go now and have the appreciation and motivation to do well and get that degree, but during my college years, I lacked those things.

Aside from that, I enjoy the drawing/problem solving aspect of what I do and I dont have to have the paperwork and red tape or the dealing with the public that the engineers have to do. And, from talking to them, most of them have a strong disdain for that aspect of what they do.

The original point of my post was that I was seeing ads in Australia (specifically Brisbane) for civil technicians (drafters, CADD operators - not engineers) that were paying 60k-70k (or about 30-35 bucks an hour) a year.

Those salaries appear attractive to someone like myself here in the states. Even in the more expensive areas of the US, I have never seen an ad from someone willing to pay that kind of dough for a Civil Tech.

GeoSmith,
$20/hr with your background is not enough. There are long term contract positions in the Dallas area paying $45/hr and up for designers with aerospace experience with no degree required. Even if you figure a direct position may be worth one half of a contract rate, you are still getting a bad deal. I don't know what the market is for ProE in Austin, but I'd definitely look around for something better.

razzy,
I can definitely relate. Having worked in the aerospace industry for about 25 years, I am much happier dealing with the modeling/design/documentation aspect than I would be handling all of the other responsibilities that go with the title "engineer".

$20/hr with your background is not enough.

What background? I mean 2 years experience is nothing. If I were working with limited experience I would be more worried about the experience I was getting to make more later (when you can make the big bucks) then your wage now. Young engineers should focus on gaining good experience not weather they make $20/hour or $25/hour.

It is similar to the arguement between electricains and electrical engineers. The electrician with 4 years exp can be making $28/hour and the engineer with 4 years exp can be making $28/hour. But after 10 years the electricain is still making $28/hour well the engineer makes $40/hour. Some people actually look at the $28 to $28 comparison and decide to be elctricians because the school is easier. I can tell you they may regret it later. Put in time when you are young and it will pay off later.

Thanks wes616,

Your experience is worth for reference. I totally agree that American need to do more innovative and creative. Otherwise, the out-sourcing to other developing countries will be soon or later for the designs. Ideas is important to solve the problems. I will buy the book you mentioned for reference. Goodluck for your stay at TX and hope you enjoy here.

ewh,

My background is mechanical engineering and I am working at the ball valve designs using Pro/E. I am not sure about Aerospace might be paid well. Because what we need is CAD design experience and few finite element analysis. I know I am still young (around 27), gaining experience is really important than the money I get. But, sometimes, I feel unhappy when compared with other people working at different industries and areas with same degree.

When comparing taxes across countries you have to also compare whet benefits you receive from the government.

Australia, like Canada has a government medical program. You get medical care for your taxes and should consider this when making the comparison. There is also a wide social safety net in place that does not exist in the US to the same degree of universality.

I know that if you have a job that these may not matter since your employer will pay your medical care and unemployment insurance, but if you were starting or running a company these costs can be significant.

(One of the reasons why a lot of automotive production is moving from the US to Canada, GM for example is paying billions in health care costs for US workers and retirees that they do not have to pay in Canada due to universal government health care.)

Before anyone gets off on me, yes there are significant differences between the level of health care a fully insured American receives and that that all Canadians get. However our average health care costs are less than 60% of US costs and we have a longer life expectancy so we must be doing something right.

If you want salary comparisons then all Canadian provincial associations have published salary surveys. See for the Manitoba one and they have links to all other associations any you can download at least a summary of salary data for each province.

Fully qualified senior engineers in Manitoba run around $CDN 80K and up with top end being about $CDN 120k. New grads are getting around $CDN 35-40K. New P.Eng’s are $CDN 50-60k. Manitoba is one of the lower paying provinces. Alberta would be about 20% higher or the same amounts but in US dollars.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

GeoSmith,
I agree that experience is imortant, especially if you wish to stay in that field. My comments referred more to the fact that your CAD and FEA experience is valuable in the contract industry. You gain exposure to a variety of disciplines and different areas of the country (if you choose to travel). Of course, while you may be paid much more, there is much less job security (as if there is much of that anywhere anymore).

you may be paid much more, there is much less job security (as if there is much of that anywhere anymore)

I live by this quote... call me greedy. Sometimes it's every man for himself.

My first job out of college was with a blue chip manufacturer. There were a bunch of layoff. I lost my job.... To the horror of my friends and family (my dad especially. He told me when I got that job, that it would be a place I would spend a career). So much for riding for the brand... Better to work for yourself anyway.

Wes C.

You know I hate to talk about salary but one thing is kind of clear.

Almost every job I have taken is less than the salary surveys show. I have been in the lowest 10% in two different fields and perhaps 3 different jobs.

I have to think it is a self esteem issue with me, that or being single I just don't need the money. I mean overall my self esteem is high but for some reason it isn't always great career wise. Maybe I'm too sensitive.

Bugger salary ... move to aus for the lifestyle ;) I'd choose a job that paid $50k which I loved, over a job that paid $80k that I did not enjoy ... Also- you gotta love Australian Summers, beaches, and laid back attitude!

Read the Eng-Tips Site Policies at FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back