Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone testing bicycles to EN 14781?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsunehiro

Mechanical
Apr 23, 2009
I'm looking for someone familiar with testing to the European Safety Standard EN 14781. Do you test all production frame sizes or do you determine the worst case by analysis? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

At this moment in time we are testing all sizes
theres a great deal of debate on this topic and a lot of bullS$$$ that goes with people not knowing or understanding the requirements and making rash conclusions ...the majority of the time these false positives are achieved by people with little understanding of the engineering problem at hand

the fatigue tests can produce variable results in the same material in different frame sizes

Also there are vast discrepencies in test house calibration of equipment and the results from these tests never get to a point where they are reliable .I have seen many frames which do not pass even the old test in some houses,but surpass the new specification an absolute no no!!!

companies also at this time are so desperate to get their frames.in another frame test i have seen that was concluded to be a pass when one frame out of 10 survived the test rig ..this is obviously not a good or reliable conclusion but in chiwan where a lot of these bikes are made anything is possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back