Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anyone used a ATI HD 5870 with UG NX6 yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonMgt

Aerospace
Nov 16, 2009
US
Has anyone used the new ATI HD 5870 gaming card with UG yet? Not sure if the Direct X 11 helps on UG yet or not. But, the combination of the price (< $400) and hardware specs make it pretty tempting looking to me. The cards also support 3 monitors. I'd like to know if anyone is using this card with three monitors and UG.

I'll also probably buy a Quadro fx 1800, card to compare to the gaming card we will use for those that want to tell me the gaming card idea is bad.

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We are in the process of upgrading our UG systems. We've bought a new system that will arrive next week. In the next year we will buy several more systems so with this first system we are going to try a few things. It's coming with a Nvidia GF 260 card with about 1.8 GB RAM. I want to see what impact putting an even better rated graphics card in it (which is currently the ATI HD 58/5970) and we will try a CAD card. If I want to spend about $400 per graphics card, I think the CAD card choice to go with is the Quadro FX 1800.

So basically, I'm trying to find out if anyones done what I plan to do already.

Don,

Test a few if you can. That's what I've done in the past. Now also in the past we had terrible troubles with driver support for various graphics cards from one version of NX to the next and with ATI gaming cards in particular. Some of this was Windows 32/64 bit, XP/Vista compatibility issues and other elements were to do with the way OpenGL was supported. So what you may be entitled to think is that for backwards and forwards compatibility the certified cards are better.

On the other hand if you don't service different customers with a need to go across historic and current NX versions then you might just pick whatever good, fast and cheap card works for you. If it costs only half as much then you can afford to replace it in the unlikely event that it turns out not to properly support NX-8 by which time your workstation is probably junk anyway.

Sometimes bang for your buck comes down to being realistic about what you use your system for and how long you intend to keep it.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back