Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

anyone using a pen tablet for Solidworks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olid

Mechanical
May 22, 2003
US
I have searched this forum and found thread559-130583 which specifically mentions Wacom pen tablets. Since that thread is closed I would like to pose the question to the users who were using the pen tablets back then.

First are you still using the pen tablets, how do you like them and do you think they improve your efficiency with SolidWorks?

The reason I ask is because we are considering trying the Wacom pen tablet. It was recommended to us in order to alleviate discomfort associated with using a mouse for 10 hours a day.

Any thoughts on tablets or other input devices would be greatly appreciated.

[cheers]

Regards,
Dan Olid
SW2006 SP4.1
PDMW 4.0
Cad Designer/PDMW Admin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't use the tablet, but I have been using a Spaceball 5000 for about a year now and love it. It reduces many repetitive tasks by having programmable buttons, and also by making rotating and zooming in and out easier.

SW07 SP2.0

Flores

I have a wacom 9x12 tablet which I use with photoshop, painter and illustrator. I've never tried using it with solidworks... but somehow I don't think it would work well for me... as I find using the various buttons/scroll wheel on the logitech mouse work efficiently for SW. The wacom pen does have a programable "switch"... but again... I don't see it working well for SW. My opinion.

I bought a 8x9 tablet from UC Logic. They are less expensive ($80 on Ebay) than the Wacom ($250), and just as capable. The resolution was enough for what I use it for. What I found, it was great for graphical programs (PhotoShop, Corel Draw, etc), but not that great for SolidWorks.

I found it annoying to hover the pen over the tablet for the various commands I needed to use on a daily basis with SW. With graphical programs, you are usually in one command for a long time, be it the pen tool, a brush, etc.

Perhaps it just boils down to the type of work you do in SW.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I just got a Space Explorer from 3dconnexion and absolutely love it. It was only $299 and definately worth it. It takes some getting use to at first, but now I could not imagine being with out it.

Dan,

I used nothing but a mouse and keyboard for the first year, so I know the discomfort you are refering to. I then connected a Spaceball 2003 and would only give up this antique for a SpacePilot. I tried a SpaceTraveler and couldn't get used to its roundness. I used a tablet for 2D ACad, but can't imagine it replacing the ball.

Reaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back