Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Anyone working in the United Arabian Emirates presently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mccoy

Geotechnical
Nov 9, 2000
IT
Is anyone of you guys working in the UAE's or in Quatar presently or have you been there recently? I'm thinking about exploring the market out there and figuring out the best way to advertise myself as a consultant (I would think about joining a company only if salary were real good).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As a contractor, you absolutely need a "sponsor" in most of the Gulf countries (associated with a sponsorship fee of course !) I don't know if this applies to engineering services but most probably yes !. The sponsor will take care of all local administrative tasks (visas, etc...) and if he is good (you to select !)he should be able to bring business !
Don't forget they also know what crisis mean, although business has started again overthere more than in Europe.

Hi Bigharvey, other people hinted that there are intermediaries that you define 'sponsors' and now I'm going to enquire further, that was a good tip and I missed the right word for it, lol. I've been also told that direct employment from companies is rare now and firms prefer to hire consultants on a single project basis, which would suit better my situation. Maybe I'm going there in a few months and find out personally, although some previous homework is sure advisable. Crisis in the construction field is huge now in Italy, if we rule out places with recent earthquakes where the rebuilding is still under way and will be for years to come. Many coleauges here are trying to get contracts for projects in Africa. In the UAEs there was sure a slump in 2008 but apparently now activities are picking up a little. I cannot help but remaining fascinated by the huge and diversified projects they are carrying out.

You can try big engineering firms from the middle east like Dar Al Handasah (Lebanon) or Hamza Associates (Egypt)(Mamdouh Hamza is a Geotech). UK engineering firms are also very succesfull in these countries.
I am presently working in JV with my mother company, as contractors, in Jebel Ali Harbour in Dubaï.
It's true that work has picked up again in the area.

BigHArvey, what a coincidence that there is really someone in this Group that is working there. I added the firms you suggested to my list and I'm also working on finding some connections from here, who can indicate sponsors to me. I believe the best sponsors maybe belong to the ruling families.

BigHarvey, is there a uniform building code in the UAE presently? I read about new building codes to be implemented in 2014 in Abu Dhabi and possibly the west emirates but what about other areas, like Dubai? Do they still plan to design according the IBCs or maybe Eurocodes? And what about the seismic design of structures? I'm just starting to do some research but situation does not appear to be totally clear.

On our contract, we are not responsible for the design. Generally speaking these places used to be british colonies, which explains the predominancy of british engineering firms and the tendancy to use BS and certainly now eurocodes more than IBC.

A new building code has been released in Dubai, don't know if official or draft yet.
It is strange, in parts it's almost the same as ASCE07-10 (site classification, response spectrum) , but it refers to the Eurocodes which have differents spectra and site classifications....maybe for what si not specified in the standards themselves it suggests the Eurocodes as a reference (If it's not in the American standards, then consult the European ones). For the little I've seen so far. Which keeps beign weird since the European standars have drawn heavily from the american seismic codes.....

Of course a dedicated section is on tall buildings.

Abu Dhabi as far as I understand follows explicitly the IBC standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back