Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Anything better than Shrinkwrap? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

treddie

Computer
Dec 17, 2005
US
Hi.

Is there anything better than Shrinkwrap to get one solid body from a part that is composed of both facet data and intersecting solid/surface features? Shrinkwrap is a cool idea, but even its highest quality mode is just awful for holding model fidelity.

Thank you very much for any responses.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am not sure exactly what you need it for, but for example I had to make a tire envelope of suspension in all positions so that the finders could be designed around that envelope. And yes that is the best I have found as of yet! Unfortunately

Arghhhh! I was afraid of that. I basically had to take a very faithfully produced human hand, glove like thing of about 1.5mm thick, built in ProE, and try to get it exported out as an STL for Rapid prototype. To make a long story short, I wanted to stay completely solid, but had to resort to meshing the whole thing in the end to get a decent thicken, and then added more solid work to that. The result was a solid & mesh "gene-splice" that I finally took all the individual parts of, and converted all to mesh, then Boolean Union'd all that in Lightwave. My big worry is if it will be watertight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back