APDL Node selection on a meshed line

Status
Not open for further replies.

anlblk

Mechanical
May 13, 2020
IT
Dear all,

I have a question about APDL, I hope someone can help me out with this.
I have a line which is created with 2 keypoints. After meshing, I would like select a specific location on this line and add a nodal mass (mass21).
This location is dynamic, so that it is calculated each time.
My problem is I cannot figure out how to select that.
Is there any way to define another keypoint in advance and make it a part of that line, or directly, to select the nodes that are created on this defined location and apply the element type?
I will be glad to hear also if someone has another idea.
Thank in advance.
Regards

Anl

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi!

You are talking about 2 things here, the geometry model and the finite element mesh. What's the underlying element type, if the line is already meshed (is it a beam, shell edge, solid edge). You can't just add a node, the node must be part of the mesh or otherwise connected to the original mesh. Can you elaborate a little more on your question so we don't have to guess what you want.

Hi,

I am sorry for the lack of information. Please let me explain in a better way.
I am creating a BEAM188 element for a line that is created with 2 key points. Let's consider as K1(0,0,0), K2(100,100,0)
Then i use LMESH to mesh this line. After that I want to apply a nodal mass by Mass21 command on a location (70,70,0).
In order to do that I use NSEL with LOC item type, but due to the number of mesh elements it selects several nodes on that location so that I cannot use E command to link them. For instance, if I have a rough mesh, then it selects one node and it completes the simulation.
What I would like to do select all the nodes on that specific location, merge them an apply a nodal force.
In addition, I am not using GUI, I cant select something on that interface as manually.
I hope it is clear now.
Thank in advance.
Regards.

If you know the location beforehand, then just create a kp there and define the lines between that kp and the other ones. Or, put a workplane at the location and divide the line with that. There are numerous ways.

How can you get a lot of elements selected with NSEL? The standard tolerance is really small. Is there a specific reason that you are meshing a line with a lot of beam elements? That's normally not required to capture the physics.

Otherwise just create a node at your location with N,loxc,locy,locz and tie that to you mesh with either RBE2 or RBE3, whatever is appropriate for your problem.

/PB

Thanks a lot for your concern.

I am trying to perform a modal analysis for a 2 link structure that will have different orientations.
When I create 2 lines with 3 keypoints as you mentioned, then I need to add a joint element which will cause an additional dof. Because otherwise, they move separately.
I don't know what causes this, but the output of NSEL says multiple nodes are selected. For instance, when I enter 300 for sizing, it selects 17 nodes.
Basically, what I was looking for is creating a connectivity with those nodes.
I haven't used RBE3 before, I will look for it.
Thank you!
Regards.

Sorry, I don't really follow you here, can you draw a sketch of what you are modelling. Also if it is true links or struts, with only axial capacity, Link180 should be your element of choice, not a beam element with bending capacity.
/PB

model_osyvob.png

This is my model. The joint on the left hand, has a connector,and that is what I am trying to simply model with Mass21 element.
I hope it is more clear now.
Regards

This looks like a planar linkage, maybe better to try textbook solutions for the kinematics or multi body dynamics? What's your load case here?

It is an impact test for eigen frequencies, so on APDL model, there is no load.
I am able to perform the simulation, just this C shape connector's weight is missing. That's why I am trying to find a way to add it as a nodal mass.
Thank you for you suggestion.
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back