Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[APDL] Sweeping in APDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

protrader

Mechanical
May 26, 2008
CA
Hello,
I need to sketch an imperfect cone solid model with skewed teeth around it with changing cross-sectional area. The only easier way is drawing the upper and lower cross section of the solid model and sweeping (not revolving) but unfortunately after much attempt I could not find a way to do that with APDL. Is there any one that can help me with this?

I have a very similar 3D model that can help to figure out what I need. The only difference is that the cross sectional area of the teeth are constant while in my model it varies.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did you try the VDRAG command?

From your description I think you must be in a cylindrical coordinate system, and your dragline must be a spiral shape around the central axis.

you are right about VDRAG, I cannot use that because the cross sectional area of the teeth of the solid change, if they were constant I could define a path line and then I could extrude that but VDRAG cannot make that. Plus, defining the spiral path does not seem easy.

Spirals are very easy in a cylindrical coordinate system.

CSYS,1
K,100,radius,angle1,z1
K,101,radius,angle2,z2
L,100,101

After that, any area or volume you are defining with KP100&101 will use the spiral line you just created.

radius is the radius of the cylinder? in fact the solid is not a cylinder, it is an imperfect cone, meaning the radius of the upper face and lower face are a little bit different. So I think I have to use different radii.

The teeth have been skewed 9 degrees, so the angle should be for example 0 and 9, is that correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back