Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API 10000 Control Valve Minimum Wall Thickness

Status
Not open for further replies.

adavid

Mechanical
Sep 16, 2011
US
I know ASME defines minimum wall thickness of a control valve based on the list of formulas "basis equations for minimum wall thickness" but this only goes up to 4500# and does not account for the strength of the material.

I am trying to figure out how to calculate minimum wall of an API 10K valve given a specific material, but I'm not having any luck as to where to reference. I've been searching through API 6A but the closest I found was table 4 referencing "Standard material applications for bodies, bonnets, etc." but no luck finding a formula. Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to use Lame's (with an accent) method for calculating cylinder wall thicknesses and then apply a corrosion allowance of 10% of the min wall thickness.

This looks at the Yield and UTS of the material and relates against the diameter of the part of the valve you are looking at. Generally the max thickness will be in your body gallery!

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back