Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API 1102 Adjacent lane loading Pipeline checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger123

Civil/Environmental
Jul 31, 2020
US
The question is do you double the live loading to account for an adjacent lane of traffic? API recommends using the wheel set of the greater of (Single axle/2 or Tandem/4). You only use one wheel set presumably because you are checking a point on the pipe directly below the load as the other wheel set would be loading another point 6 feet away. What about adjacent lanes that could be a little closer, but from a practical manner not much closer than the attached wheel (wheels other side of the axle) set that is not counted.
API Recommend Practice 1102, Sixth Edition, Apr 1993, Paragraph 4.6.2.2.2 states "It is assumed that the pipeline is subjected to the loads from two trucks traveling in adjacent lanes, such that there are two sets of tandem or single axles in line with each other. The crossing is assumed to be oriented at 90 degrees with re­spect to the highway and is an embankment-type crossing, as shown in Figure 1. This type of orientation generally is pre­ferred in new pipeline construction and is likely to result in pipeline stresses larger than those associated with pipelines crossing at oblique angles to the highway."
Is this assumption considered in the methodology and the additional load from the adjacent lane should not be added as it is too far away?

In a example in the referenced manual, B-1 , a major hwy crossing, only one wheel set it used in the calculation. For a major hwy crossing there would be multiple lanes. I'm trying to get some information to determine if I double the load for an adjacent lane or not. Based on the methodology and a practical spacing of I don't think the load should be included. In reviewing how the API handles 2 railroad tracks close together, there is factor that is used but it is not 2 times.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=86cf4bcf-920c-4dc4-87ee-e8f80351d51b&file=API_1102__Recommend_Practice.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't believe you double the load and I never have because the RP states it assumes you have two trucks in adjacent "Lanes", not carriageways. Thus, for me, the assumption of two trucks is built into the model, the factors and the calculation.

The rail crossing states the base assumption is only one train and then gives factors for two trains.Different approach.

Unless you've got a big thin pipe with very little left beyond hoop stress for internal pressure, you shouldn't really have a problem.

BTW, there is now a 7th edition of API 1102 and you really shouldn't post the whole thing as it is a copyrighted document. Best to post small bits as you need them.

If you want to go back to first principles you need to look up Spanglers Iowa formula.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Trucks in adjacent lanes are never close enough to combine their wheel loads at a single point.
Adjacent rail loads can get closer, hence the factor.

“What I told you was true ... from a certain point of view.” - Obi-Wan Kenobi, "Return of the Jedi"

I don't know, but don't worry too much - it's out of date and is more of a note for next time.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I think you can use the report flag and ask the admin to do it.

“What I told you was true ... from a certain point of view.” - Obi-Wan Kenobi, "Return of the Jedi"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back