Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API 1102 - Pipeline Highway Crossing Calcs

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCG1

Mechanical
Oct 10, 2006
US
The application involves installing a concrete slab over an existing pipeline to protect it from loads due to a new road (highway) crossing. It currently fails the combined stress limits as calc'ed per API 1102

If anyone is familiar with the API 1102 calculations for pipeline stresses, I am looking for some assistance in determining how the installation of a concrete slab (to further distribute loading) can be incorporated into the equations.

AASHTO indicates that the surface load distributes at a rate of 1.75 ft per every 1 ft. of depth (earth). By theory, if we install a wide concrete slab above the pipeline, we can further distribute the load over a greater area than soil alone.

My problem arises because while AASHTO provides this nice table to show how (w) decreases with depth, the API 1102 calculations seem to ignore depth. (w) is taken as the surface loading (single or tandem axle) and appears to retain that value regardless of depth. I looked at the pavement factors (R & L), and they don't seem to address this either.

Am I missing something here? I fear that in combining specs, I have somehow mixed methods, but I don't see a clear way to incorporate slab protection in the API 1102 calcs. Do I need to back-calculate and fudge in a new valve for (w)? BTW, I only have an excerpt of AASHTO, so hopefully the next page isn't a disclaimer...

Thanks,
BCG

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thx for the feedback...

Unfortunately, lowering may not be feasible. The pipe is at 3 to 4' of cover, and the stresses fail until we get near 10' depth. It's an 18" OD pipe, so we'd probably have to dig back further than we've got.

The link posted above is re-affirmation of the AASHTO guideline for the load distribution decrease through the soil. I am still trying to figure out how a slab would be incorporated into API 1102. I think I can account for it by adjusting the soil modulus (E), somehow.

I may end up recommending a concrete span over the pipe, which is in essence like a box culvert. Trying to avoid too much overkill though....

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back