Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API 1104 Multiple Qualification of Welders

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetGecko

Materials
Mar 12, 2009
US
I need assistance in interpetation of the term requalified in section 6- 6.3.2 of the 20th.

If a welder is qualified to the SMAW process wtih a 12X12 branch and butt weld "...shall be qualified to weld in all positions, on all wall thickness, joint designs, and fittings: on all pipe diameters."
Does requalifed for section "...a. A change from one welding process ..." mean that another 12x12 branch and butt must be done in the GMAW or does a Single Qualification test of the welder in the GMAW process meet the requirement of qualifying the GMAW process for the welder.

Searching of Old posts found this
thread809-101282 but it left me still lacking clarity.

Thanks.
Gecko

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Gecko,
The original qualification was a Multiple Qualification using SMAW.
A new test is required for GMAW.
It can be a Single or Multiple Qualification based on your requirements.
Regards,
BB

I will try to clarify my question.

Welder passes the 12x12" and 12" butt in SMAW under the Multiple qualification tests.
Welder then passes a 6" butt weld test in the GMAW process.

The interpretaion is that the 2nd test proves the process not the position, thickness, diameter etc. which was tested in the SMAW test.

Then is the welder Multiple Qualified in the GMAW process?

MetGecko,
I cannot see it specifically addressed anywhere (maybe in an interpretation)
IMHO, No he is not qualified.
The branch to pipe weld is a totally different weld to the straight butt weld and the welder must prove his ability to weld it sucessfully.
Regards,
BB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back