Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API 1104 vs. ASME Section 9 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

exCLP

Civil/Environmental
Apr 13, 2007
US
On a crude oil pipeline station, when does API 1104 apply and when does ASME Section 9? On Welding Procedures, I am hearing two versions:
1) API 1104, till after the first above-gound flange, then ASME Section 9; versus,
2) API 1104 throughout ..."a pipeline is a pipeline"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

API 1104 throughout.
Drawings should dictate where the spec change should be made.
you should not start to worry about section IX until you reach a processing facility or some form of packaged equipment piping.

you can disregard the statement about the drawing.
it occured to me that you might be creating the drawing.
sorry, i'm on the construction end of the oilfield, so i'm used to drawings being completed long before i get involved :)

I always make a spec-break at the pipeline overpressure protection device to insure I'm in compliance with 31.8 on the line and keep DOT out of my hair in the plant. Since I never put a relief valve on my pipelines, its the ESD/MOV just upstream of the pig trap. Mark your drawings so everyone is clear on the break point as mentioned aboev.

Yeah and the main reason is because pipeliners are good at laying pipe, and use 1104 welders. Pipeline contractors are notoriously bad at fabrication and are usually stretched just fabricating MLV's and pig traps, I don't dare want to have them try their hands at plant (B31.1 or 31.3) piping - look out.

Greg Lamberson, BS, MBA
Consultant - Upstream Energy

In terms of Welding Procedure Qualification and Welder Qualification, 49CFR Part 195.214 and 195.222 permit qualification by either ASME Section IX or API 1104. Weld acceptance criteria must be per API 1104 per 195.228.

State jurisdictions may impose further restrictions and may limit qualification to API 1104 only. For gas piping, Arizona mandates qualification per API 1104 both outside and inside of the plant; in power plants, B31.1 does not apply to the fuel gas lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back