Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API-510 Exams code books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdonte

Petroleum
May 20, 2013
US
Hey guys, Im currently a CWI looking to get API 510, 570 and 653. I am starting with 510. With my CWI experience I feel that I will not have a problem navigating the API codebook. I have some great study material and I am going to give self study a shot. In any case, did everyone here take the exam with ALL the code books in the API 510 Body of Knowledge? I have an IHS Standards subscription for ASME BPVC thru my job, but if I buy all the codes and RPs, its going to be an expensive endeavor! I was considering buying only the 510 and using the printed ASME chapter from my job. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My experience;
Several years back I took the 510 exam using the Code books referenced in BOK. I spent a total of 15-18 hours studying the material over a period of several weeks prior to the test date. I'm pretty familiar with Sec V, VIII & IX because I work with them every day so most of my study time was spent on the API standards. I found the exam to be heavy on ASME Sec VIII and IX and fairly easy.
Exams change so your experience may be quite different but I would recommend that you ensure you can proficiently review a PQR and a WPS and determine it's conformance to Sec IX, be capable of performing simple calculations for thickness / pressure, understand the rules pertaining to joint efficiency, nozzle reinforcement, and impact testing per Sec VIII. Of course, you should also be familiar with API 510 and the basics of the various NDE methods.
Although they may not have the latest version, some larger city libraries have codes and standards available.
Study hard and you'll do fine.

Thanks for the tips guys. Were there any checks done on your code books? I was kind of upset when I spent $320 on my 1104 and since they never checked, people in my class with printed out PDFs were fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back