Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

API 579 - MAT and temperature reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Water_Guy

Industrial
Sep 6, 2016
US

API 579 section 3.4.3 b) has me confused. Especially step 4 and equation 3.5 and how that relates to Figure 3.7 for the ‘Temperature Reductions’.

I’ve been determining the MAT on sections of a relief valve’s discharges in cases of auto-refrigeration and temperatures below -20 deg F, either the ‘Stress basis’ for sections of piping, or “Pressure Basis’ for flanges. Stresses are from the pipe stress analysis.
API 579 Level 2 – paragraph 3.4.3 b):
Step 4:

Subparagraph “i)” is pretty self-explanatory, less than the ratio threshold: MAT = -155 deg F.

The next paragraph “ii)” and specifically equation (3.5) the ‘max[ (MAT – Tr), (-55 deg F)] has me confused.

If the stress ratio is slightly above the ratio threshold, where say the Tr would be 100 deg. That would mean equation 3.5 would look like:
Case 1. MAT = max[(-20 – 100), (-55 deg F)] or MAT = max [-120, -55], MAT = -55 deg F ???

Or what if the stress ratio is really low, indicating high stress, say a Tr around 15 deg. That would mean equation 3.5 would look like:
Case 2. MAT = max[(-20 – 15), (-55 deg F)] or MAT = max [-35, -55], MAT = -35 deg F ????

Case 2 makes sense, Higher stress lower MAT.

But what about Case 1? With a high stress ratio and corresponding higher Tr, does equation 3.5 set the MAT for a low stress at -55 deg F. But at -155 deg for a being at or below the ‘Threshold’?

I know that I’m looking at it wrong, but can’t get it straight in my head. So, I’m looking for some clarifying ‘words of wisdom’.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Water_Guy said:
With a high stress ratio and corresponding higher Tr
You've got this backwards. A high stress ratio gives a lower Tr. Look at Figure 3.7. Case 2 has a higher stress and lower Tr, so it has a higher MAT than Case 1.

I don't fully understand your question, but below the Rts threshold from Figure 3.7, we are confident in the behavior of the steel down to -155°F. Then for materials whose MAT_STEP1 is established only from material grade and thickness, Eq 3.5 is limited to -55°F because of uncertainty in the behavior of untested steel at higher stresses. Low temperature impact testing would provide a more solid technical basis for MAT_STEP1 and permit the full use of the temperature reduction metholodogy as in Eq 3.6.

Thank you 'akpipelineengr'
You're right, I had it backwards.

I guess my basic question is looking at the results in the two example Cases that were described above, specifically Case 1
Case 1: Lower stress ratio, a higher Tr. Putting that higher value in equation 3.5 and then taking the 'Max' between that two values, -120 and -55. Shouldn't a lower stress (higher Tr) result in a lower (colder) MAT? Meaning setting the MAT at -120?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back