Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API 5L Gr.B vs. A333 Gr.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesey

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2002
NO
Does anybody have opinions on the use of API 5L Gr.B pipe against A333 Gr.6 ? We have piping classes today where the wall thickness of our API 5L pipe is in excess of the 14.84mm allowed by ANSI B31.3 unless we specify impact testing. This creates extra work/problems. This could all be avoided if we switch over to use of A333 Gr.6. Is there much price difference between the two and what about availability ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jonesey,

A333 Gr 6 pipe is readily available in NPS 24" and below.

I use a supplier, Radnor Alloys, out of Houston, TX.

I am sure there are other viable piper suppliers.

bk

A333 material is specified for very low temperature service. API 5L Gr B or A106 Gr B has limited min temp service and required to be verified with charpy test. No way out.
I knew a company, almost when bankrupt for a job which they had failed to recognize A333 requirement.

Hi! SOOCS.
Can you help me?
it's about pipe API-5L GR.B application with high temperature of liquid hydrocarbon evacated from a stabiliser (T°= 260 °C).
- When the piupe is at atmospheric temperature (Tmax.= 40 °C ;and Tmin.= 5 °C), so my question is if we can evacate the hot liquid into this pipe with no risk of rupture (caused by big temperatue difference).

Thank you for your quik reply.

KH68,
I thought you have crygenic service problem when you indicated you want to use A333 material.

I dont think, I am in the position to positively say it okay as I have not used 5L Gr B for hot services. But I have seen 5L Gr B and A106B has been used interchangeably. I would prefer to used A106 B for hot service. I have seen operators would just drain the hot oil systems into the cold drain system without warming up the system. 260 deg is hot but is well within normal operating ranges. As long as the piping system is adequately derated accordingly high temp services and designed for extension movement, it would not be of concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back