Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API 610 Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

chti

Materials
Apr 23, 2007
FR
Hi,

According to API 610, for the choice of material, there is appendix G an H.
I understand that appendix G and G1 are only for information and are only for guidance.( informative)
For appendix H1 & H2, it is written under appendix H ( Normative).
In § 6.12.1.4 it is written that "pumps parts having strength or pressure integrity requirements are "full compliance" materials according to table H1 and shall meet the requirements of the agreed specifications " This means that material should be completely conform to the material according to appendix H1??
In fact i don't understand if material according to appendix H1 & H2 are mandatory or not??
I don't find any interpretation links of the code API 610.

Thank you for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

chti,

You will notice on table H.1 there's a second column that indicates full compliance on pump parts. These are all pressure parts which the para. 6.12.1.4 is saying to be full compliance. However, full compliance does not necessarily mean that anything specified on table H.2 to H.5 that correspond to each pump parts are acceptable. The list of corresponding international materials represent family/type and grade only which means these are suggested but not mandatory. For example, a S-6 class material pump has "wrought/forgings" of ASTM A266 Class 2 under carbon steel per table H.2 but for low temperature services, ASTM A350 LF2 is appropriate. Class material of A350 LF2 is of the same family/type as A266 Class 2 so chemical and mechanical properties are exactly the same.

Thanks.

Hi,

Thank you for answer.

If I understand ,and to complete your demonstration, for a pressure casing in A216WCB for class API S6, for a low T° application, we have to choose A352LCC instead A352LCB , because chemical and mechanical properties are exactly the same as WCB !
I have another question / What does it means "trim material" in the second row?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back