Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API 620 Tank: Hydrotest of new 3" installed nozzles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meck91

Mechanical
Aug 26, 2009
CA

We are planning to weld new 3", 300# nozzle on tank constructed to API 620, 6th edition back in 80's. Tank design pressure is 55 kPa (~ 8 Psi).
I am suggesting doing NDE of these nozzles per API 620, 11th Edition, Section 7.15 "Examination Method and Acceptance Criteria". Is NDE is sufficient to check the integrity of weld joints. Also,
I am thinking of performing a hydrotest of theis nozzle only by “CARBER Nozzle Test”. What should be the test pressure in this case? Note that the new tank was Hydro-pneumatic tested to 69 KPa (~ 10 Psig). Should I recommend hydrotest this nozzle at 10 Psig by CARBER or just above NDE per API 620 is sufficient.
Unfortunately, I cannot find any section in API 620 specifically regarding hydrotesting of additional nozzles.

Would highly appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Meck91

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Alterations or repairs to API 620 tanks should follow the procedures outlined in API 653. For addition of a nozzle 12" or less, a hydrostatic test is not required, as it is not considered a major repair. However, if your contract may require testing in excess of the requirements of 653.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back