Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API 650 or applicable code

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTPE

Structural
Jun 17, 2002
US
I am working on a new tank project and have requested quotes on 14 tanks 20,000gal and smaller. The tanks will contain petroleum based materials. The tanks are all leg supported with several nozzels for filling/emptying and different environmental instruments.
I was told to request each vendor to design the tanks per API 650 code, and the successful vendor will be required to certify the tanks meet that code.
As the bid process proceeded, some vendors (not all) took acception to designing a LEG supported tank per API 650. They told me API 650 did not apply. I have obtained a copy of the code myself and agree that API 650 only applies to bottom supported tanks.
My problem is that I know of several tanks that have been CERTIFIED API 650 and those tanks are LEG supported.

Can someone tell me what code should be specified for leg supported tanks containing petroleum?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back