API 650 -SECTION 5—DESIGN 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abeerj

Mechanical
Dec 14, 2014
SY
Dear sirs,
I don't understand the following paragraph from API 650 - section 5-Design - 5.1.5.2 Vertical Shell Joints:
b. Vertical joints in adjacent shell courses shall not be aligned, but shall be offset from each other a minimum distance of 5t,
where t is the plate thickness of the thicker course at the point of offset.

Can you help me to understand this issue..
Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The way I read this paragraph 5.1.5.2:

Vertical joints on shell course no 2 shall not be exactly above vertical joint shell course 1.

The distance of Vertical joint on shell course no 2 shall be minimum 5T from vertical joint shell course 1.

T is the plate thickness of thicker plate.

Typical for vertical joins on shell course 3 and vertical joint shell course 2 and next verticals on the next shell course.

Usually tank designer use 1/3 length of the plate as offset from vertical shell course 2 to vertical course #1.

It is specifying that the tank seams don't line up so that the tank is stronger:

51-1-4.jpg

Compare the seams to that of a bolted tank:

67_1.jpg

Even though 5t spacing is the bare minimum I suggest you increase this distance to space out your areas of residual stress in closely concentrated seam intersections.

Usually the tank designer will show in the drawing (shell development or nozzle orientation drawing) the distance between to adjacent vertical.

In my experiences mostly 1/3 of plate length.I have seen 500 mm in one of my project.

@Syed051,

My email : Syahar1975@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back