Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API 6A Fasteners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoltSlinger

Industrial
Jun 24, 2015
US
Many companies are asking me to now quote ASTM A193, A194, A320, etc. to API 6A. I have tried reading through API 6A, and I am not seeing any modification to the ASTM specs. To me the the fastener specializations are called out in API 6A as a reference (when to use which bolt). Does that make sense?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Currently, API 6A specifies which grades to use and also specifies mechanical properties for these specs. For the most part, the API 6A mechanical property requirements are identical to the ASTM requirements, but in a few cases (I think only above 2.5" for some grades in the inch tables, if I remember correctly) the API 6A requirements are slightly higher.

The next edition of API 6A (expected to be published sometime in 2017) will likely require bolting to meeting API 20E (carbon and low alloy) or API 20F (stainless and CRA), which have many additional requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back