Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API 6A, Material Qualification to Temperature Class X

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnaT

Mechanical
Jan 18, 2012
BH
Hi Guys,

I have several sizes of square blocks and round bars which I want to use for the production of API 6A Flanges and Blocks. The original MTC does not qualify the material for elevated temperature use. I want to use these raw materials for the manufacturing parts which comply to Temperature Classification X.

As per my understanding, I will have to cut additional testing specimens from the available material and perform elevated temperature testing on them. This will include Tensile Test and Impact Test.

Question: Can a part manufacturer do this additional testing to qualify the material?

Question: If yes, I do not have the TC and QTC for this testing, I am using the finished product to extract the test coupons. Is this allowed? and how many test coupons should I take for each heat number?

Question: If I am allowed to use the finished product for testing, I am confused about the ER method. How do I apply it to the finished product?

Any guidance in this regard will be more than appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back