Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API Calculations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeet6

Mechanical
Feb 18, 2005
US
I am an API inspector. I am trying to figure out the proper way of determining Tmin for a bottom head or cone shape of the bottom of an atmoshepheric storage tank. These tanks are supported in the air and a bottom head or come has a nozzle or nozzles coming out. The top head is open and there is no pressure. How do I go about figuring out Tmin for these items. I know some how the staic load pressure has to be taken into consideration. PLaese help me in this calculation.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Skeet6,
Dude, this is a problem for a structural or mechanical engineer experienced in tank design. No one can guide you through this via a newsgroup. Plate thickness is only one issue that is to be addressed.

Steve Braune
Tank Industry Consultants

API-620 can be used for conical bottoms, but as Steve mentions, more than the bottom plate thickness needs to be checked to ensure the integrity of the tank. The bottom plate, compression ring area, supports, and nozzle reinforcement all need to be addressed. Etank2000 software can do most of this.

Jeffcoat Smitt

Optivessel will also have facilities to do the calcs Jeffcoat mentioned.

David

Porgrams are a useful tool in the hands of an experienced engineer. No more, no less. My opinion only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back