Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

API Plan 54 w/pumping ring 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS82

Mechanical
Mar 5, 2012
US
What is disadvantage of having an axial scroll pumping ring on O/B seal of dual seal...but have a plan 54? This is a horizontal pump..if the external pump is creating flow of say 3GPM and the pumping ring is <3GPM, is this hindering the flow rate? What would happen?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry..to add..I understand for a Plan 54 no pumping ring is required, but a seal sold to the customer has this but we found out too late the API plan is 54..now they are asking if they could use the same seal w/pumping ring with the plan 54

The pumping ring is in the direction of flow..but with another piece of metal piggy backed on the seal head..are we not creating a higher centrifugal force as well which is perpendicular to the flow? Also we have close 0.062" clearance between the pumping ring OD and the gland bore..will this be throttling the flow?

A lot depends on the flow characteristics of the pumping ring vs. the Plan 54 Pump.

I would have several concerns:

1) If the pumping ring is less effective than the Plan 54 Pump, it may inhibit the flow.

2) If it is more effective (unlikely) then it will be starved and therefore will likely cavitate.

3) Irrespective of the above, it may well be producing unnecessary heat through viscous shear.

I would remove it if possible.

Thank Airsporter1st!

Just for my personal knowledge..could you explain your point #2..how would cavitation occur?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back