Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API RP 591 Certification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subraman

Mechanical
Feb 12, 2009
IN
Hello,

I need expert opinion on API RP 591 certification process, which involves a) Visual, b) Dimensional, c)Performance and d) Material qualification (Physical/chemical/NDT). When valve is designed to say API600, 602 etc, and the design takes care of suitability of all materials, means design remains same for WCB, WC6, CF8M etc., then why do the qualification of all material category, as called for by RP 591.

Wall thikness, dimensions, bolting, stem dia, handwheel, valve operation etc etc is common, and once that is established with say WCB material, the same is applicable for all other other material as well.

If there is laid down vendor management system, right from ordering to receipt of material, which ensures compliance of material specification, calling for performing Verification to Table D1, D2 seems repetition, and to gather sample lot etc has practical issues.

Is there any forum in API to get his verified? Has anyone already sought and got clarification?

Regards Subraman

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Subraman

This is all actually about general interpretation and understanding of correct use of Quality Assurance systems. If you have a QA system in your company all your questions could be handled and answered using your own procedures.

Giving a general answer valid for all certification systems in the whole world: no shortcuts is allowed, requiremets have to be followed. This is valid even if if they are outdated, seems insensibleor oldfashioned.

Others are more qualified than myself to answer your 'clarification' questions.

Good luck!

Thanks Gerharld,

True, no shortcuts, more so when III party certification agency is involved as well. I just now completed for the whole range of valves upto 24", had to go through the process for 27 types of valves by type/size/class, and sample lot of about 50+ valve for WCB material. Given the scope, for other material intend to take, may be against customer requirement, and hope there are representations to API RP591 committee to make it simpler; however ensuring QMS is well established.

I intend to write to API RP591 committee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back