Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

API5L Sample Criteria

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbradshaw2021

Industrial
Jan 19, 2021
CA
Is there somewhere within API5L that states that samples taken for mechanical testing represent the final product? My customer is ordering API5L X65Q material, and wants me to prove that the samples tested are post heat treat. My obvious thought was yes, but I need the actual verbiage from a specification. Any help please!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, the MTRs to report that. And while I understand that the mechanical testing represents the final product, the customer is hung up on me proving "when" the mechanical testing takes place in relation to the heat treatment.

If the MTR says that it was heat treated then it was heat treated.
Their question is nonsense.
Is there a statement in API5L that pertains to reporting or certification? Look there.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

If you can't produce traceability records that satisfy the purchaser (which you should be able to do with ISO 9001/API Q1), then send them a few test piece remnants and they can check the microstructure.

Steve Jones
Corrosion Management Consultant

All answers are personal opinions only and are in no way connected with any employer.

Hi rbradshaw2021,[peace]

Heat Treatment of Pipe mentioned as "Delivery Condition" in API 5L. this heat treatment may performed during plate manufacturing. pipe forming or heat treatment of produced pipe which stated in plate/pipe documents and included in Pipe grade designation.

for instance, in X65Q grade, Q means that the pipe has quenched and tempered in one of 3 above mentioned steps.

if you want to prove type of heat treatment you can refer the client to plate/pipe manufacturing documents or take a sample and check microstructure by metallography examination.

Best Regards,

The way to do that is for your customer to set up a quality program . They then hire third party witnesses to be at the mill and sign off at various steps in production ; as defined in their QA specification. They may include an audit of the mills QC program before they place an order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back