Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

API5L vs. API2B Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngingBoy

Civil/Environmental
Jun 6, 2012
I'm working on a project for a steel pipe structure and ordered A53 Grade B or API5L steel pipe of diameter 1 1/4". The company I'm ordering from only has API2B Steel piping. I'm unfamiliar with the differences in specs and standards between the two, will API2B be sufficient? How do the yield and tensile strengths differ? Please cite any sources or relevant charts/tables so I can show verification.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you not located within the USA? I have not encountered a PVF (pipe, valve, fitting) supplier that does not have access to ASTM A53 pipe.

To answer your question, API 5B pipe is not intended to be used to transfer fluids on its internal area, but as piling and structural members. API 5L is intended to be used for fluids transfer. API 2B would not be sufficient by this basis alone, for me. Also omitted in 5B are the tensile and yield properties of the product, since the alloy of construction is specified by the purchaser whereas 5L has grade information detailing these properties.

API 5L is for conveying fluids, like fegenbush says. You'll want to stick with A53 pipe for anything structural-related. Any reputable vendor/supplier should be stocked full of A53 pipe, unless they had a major run on it for some reason.

"API 5B pipe is not intended to be used to transfer fluids "
That should read "API 2B ....."

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it's not safe ... make it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back