Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

API650 Fixed Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

magmath76

Mechanical
Apr 27, 2011
AU
I am in the process of designing a 15.5 mitr dia 15.8 dia steel tank with conical roof. I am bit stuck on the roof design and much appreciated some one could help me with this.

1) I am not clear either to go for self supporting or cone with rafter suppoerted from the tank wall, as i could not see any guideline in API 650 what type to be used based on diameter etc
2) when I look at the rafter spacing calculation , I am confued on the calulcation of uniform pressure which referes to Appendix R as i am not clear on what combination is should be used.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The roof type is not dictated by the standard. It is up to the engineer to determine the appropriate roof design. For 15.8m, a self supported cone roof is unlikely to be economical in either design or fabrication/erection. Additionally, you may want to consider whether a center column to support the rafters is permissible.

The load cases in Appendix R are all to be considered. The value that used in the design is the most severe of the load combinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back