Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

APMP vs PRINCE2 Foundation

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrowmatt

Aerospace
Aug 31, 2006
GB
I am considering taking the APMP qualification to broaden my knowledge base and increase my prospects of future employment. I am currently working as a project engineer but feel the company procedures are not offering me a suitable education in the correct way to do things.

I am wondering if anybody has comments on the value of the APMP qualification and/or how it compares with the PRINCE2 foundation qualification, which to me looks a lot less thorough.

Regards,

Matt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well if you are outside the UK, Prince2 is pretty much useless. About APMP, I understand it deals more with tendering and acquisiton of new ventures, not the actual development of a project. How about becoming a PMP? If you want to become a Project Manager it is better recognized than any other certification I've heard of, and it is recognized worldwide.

Cheers.

I should've said in my original post that I am based in the UK.

Thanks for the comments, the PMP certainly looks to be a worthwhile qualification to have. However I am currently about 2 years short of the minimum experience requirement.

Also not sure about how my current role as a project engineer would qualify, I am not involved in the definition of the contract or of the setting/controlling of a budget, i am from a technical background working mostly as a technical project planner but I do deal with all levels within the company and the customer. Hence my desire to broaden my skill set with a view to gaining more responsibility, probably with another organisation.

My current organisation is an SME with an old-fashioned management principle. Although the new MD appears to have some interest in structural/strategic changes

As a PMP (Project Management Professional), I might have a bias towards PMP, however there is no gain stating the fact that PMP is more global and gives a broader view to the entire concept of project mgt.

APMP is not solely on tendering like you stated, it is also on the management of projects, visit their website.

You can start-off as a CAPM which is one step less PMP so that you can then aquire the PMP with time.

Prince II is a definitive metodology adopted by the UK govt. if you think of working outside the UK, posibilities abound everywhere, it might not be of great help.

Greg Akhibi
Clearwaters Consulting Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back