Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Appendix 2 and B16.5 Flanges

Status
Not open for further replies.

monk75

Industrial
Apr 30, 2003
US
Can standard 150# ASME B16.5 flanges be considered as complying to Appendix 2 flanges?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the quick response. Maybe you might be able to help further. Why does UW-21(d)state "When ASME B16.5 slip-on flanges are shown to meet all of the requirements provided in Appendix 2, weld sizes from Appendix 2 can be used? What requirements is UW-21(d) referring to? Seems to be conflicting??

I'm fairly new to this site as far as asking questions and have tried to search this. Maybe I'm not asking the correct question?

monk75, weld sizes for slip-on flanges required per UW-21 are larger than required per Apx 2. Compare UW-21(c), Fig UW-21 to Fig 2-4, Sketch (3) for example.

UW-21(d) provides a basis for using smaller welds.

As for your first question, if it complies with all of Apx 2 requirements, yes. Often they don't though.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

If the actual design pressure is low enough that the flange works per Appendix 2, then you can use that option and are able to use smaller welds, is how I interpret that. Which would mainly be larger flanges (24", 20", etc) where the hub thickness and corresponding weld are pretty substantial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back