Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applicability of Codes and Standards to Piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhoxworth

Mechanical
Aug 21, 2003
US
How does one determine what code/standard applies to what? Our project has the requirement that all piping shall conform to ASME B31.3 because it is a chemical plant. Would this also apply to the vents which are PVC? I don't have the code so I don't know whether ASME B31.3 can apply to any and everything within the plant boundaries that has do with the process, regardless of use and material. Could someone please provide some direction and enlighten me here? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASME/ANSI B31.3 is a Process Piping Code that applies to metallic, non-metallic lined and non-metallic piping systems handling various fluids. I would suggest you purchase a copy of this Standard for review. This is a fairly comprehensive standard, with specific guidance on applicability to plant process piping systems based on operating pressure, temperature and fluid.

dhox,

Don't you find it interesting that you have been assigned to perform work on chemical plant piping but do not have access to the ASME B31.3 piping code ...??

Let me guess,..... you work for an MBA who has proclaimed that "all technical staff should purchase thier own tools, including codes and standards"

His undergraduate degree is probably in accounting or finance and he is somehow related to the owners of the firm.

The 2002 edition is available from

MJC

we do have the standard now. it was quite odd to us that we did not have the standard. i think that the reason we didn't already have it is because we are under the jurisdiction of the NRC and they don't use ASME B31.3 as a required standard.

Nuclear Regulator Committee. I believe they have their own set of standards. If they approve of the installation, the onus is on them. I'm not sure because I have was not involved in the installation of our first plant. The one currently being designed is a DOE facility/project.

Piping to the NRC regs refers to the ASME B&PVC which also defaults to 31.1 and 31.3 on specific issues.
I can see how you did the original work without knowing the boundaries and applicable codes (Nuc over rides), but not without the reference tools.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Corrosion never sleeps, but it can be managed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back