Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application of ASTM A20 requirements for testing of ASTM A516 plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

ET1983

Mechanical
Mar 5, 2007
IN
Dear All,
During my review of an material test certificate of A516 Gr70 plate material,the supplier has qualified the UT testing of a plate to level B. I raised a query of why not qualified for level C, which is the stringent one and as required by ASTM A20 requirement also. However received an response from supplier that the applicability of ASTM A20 shall apply only to non heat treated plates and or plates only with stress relieving, as indicated on section 1.4 of A516.
Is ASTM A20 not applicable for heat treated or normalized material. Please confirm.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My query is all about the interpretation of section 1.4.. my understanding on this section,is that the normalized plated or heat treated plates wouldn’t be tested or complying to general requirements in accordance with ASTM A20?? If so, how to determine the UT acceptance level for a material or the subsequent testing applications?

I don't have the latest versions at hand but:

SA-516, 1.4 refers to plate produced from coil and furnished w/o heat treat or with stress relief only. I don't see that SA-516 or SA-20 either one requires UT for any plate condition. If UT per SA-578 is performed, the purchase shall specify the acceptance level.

Looks like the supplier UT'd even though not required, and picked the acceptance level.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Hi mike, as far as my understanding.. all ASTM A516 plate materials shall be UT tested in accordance with A578 for identification of discontinuity or cracks in the plate material.
If ASTM A20 is not applicable for heat treated plates ( normalized) [pre][/pre]as indicated in section 1.4, then my question is how to determine the level of acceptance criteria (A, B or C) as per A578??

ET1983, your understanding is not correct. Except for strand-cast plates, as per david339933 UT is not required by either SA-20 or SA-516, including 1.4.

UT and acceptance criteria is only as specified by the buyer.

You need to carefully read both specifications.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Completely agree with SnTMan & david339933.
But I guess ET1983 requires a little more clarification.
UT is specified for non-heat treated and/or stress relieved steels as there could be cold cracks during or after cold rolling.
However, normalization is done during hot rolling, thereby enhancing the toughness of the steel. Cold cracking is not envisaged and hence the code does not ask for UT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back