Application share of types of butterfly valves. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bharti__

Mechanical
Aug 11, 2018
IN
Hey there!

Currently, I am studying about butterfly valves in little bit deeper in which i have found basic different types of butterfly valves i.e. 1)centerline valve 2)Double-offset butterfly valve 3)Triple-offset butterfly valve.

But during surfing, i found most of the manufacturers are focusing on manufacturing of centerline valve and very few manufacturers are providing option of double-offset and triple-offset valves. Even i have observed only centerline valves in pipeline cases that i have seen and studied!

So, I wanted to know comparative application share in market of all this three types and if centerline valves are usually prefered more than double-offset and triple offset so, what could be reasons of that?

If any one has experience of this kind please share your reviews.

Thank you!

Lead valves towards Industry 4.0

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Bharti,

Your question is way too general. What is the purpose your question? You've mentioned that you had perform some studies, what are the conclusion you got so far and what are the gap between your summary and your reference? Read forum policies... quote "Please conduct internet-based research (such as Google.com) and review the site FAQs, along with performing an Eng-Tips.com site search prior to posting a new question on these fora."unquote

For at least two simple reason:
-Answer in this limited forum can have multiple interpretation, even though the intention was not.
-Some of us gain this knowledge with years of experience, and it is not appreciated shall some parties took commercial advantage by claiming ‘this forum's explanation’ as their ‘invoice-able’ answer towards internal/external client. You can say you’re studying, but most of us don’t buy that reason.

I am only sharing below information so someone is not miss-used the general butterfly valve concept. And minimize reinventing the wheel stigma.
Not to be generalized, but in summary
Why one or some Plants choose butterfly valve:
-Generally have spatial constraint. By far butterfly valve have more compact face to face, thus suitable for very limited space
-Understand the risk such as: would have disc within its flow path (not full bore or PIG-able), have limited controllable capacity (in general butterfly valve Cv at 70-75% opening or bigger is not much different with 100% full open)
-Have preference for quarter turn type
-Etc.

Butterfly valve type are concentric, double-offset, triple offset and quadruple offset (don’t have much experiences with this one so I will not discuss this one)
Concentric:
-Butterfly valves utilize an elastomeric liner into which the disc is an interference fit, thus affecting the seal.
-Normally used in water service and available in ASME Class 150 only.
-In general torque seated. However, applying excessive torque may have damaging consequences

Double offset:
-Generally soft seated (polymeric).
-The seat is normally housed in the body spring energized onto the disc, giving effective bi-directional sealing.
-Available in ASME Class 150 and 300.
-In general torque seated. However, applying excessive torque may have damaging consequences
-Quite common for chemical application which have temperature limit due to polymeric seat. Some geothermal and offshore application with moderate temperature also use this kind of valves

Triple offset:
-Have a metallic seat and are suitable for higher temperatures.
-Classes up to Class 600, but some of uni-directional designed up to class 2500.
-It is arguable that manufacturer claim it is position seated, but torque (seating) do play role on its disc vs seat tightness.
-it is becoming quite common to be used for tight shut off application for hazardous product.
-since Disc and Seat only "touch" right when it is about to reach close position, thus can be an alternative for fouling medium. Not suggested to use ball valve for fouling application due to ball and seat is always in contact when valve being operated.

Concentric butterfly valves are the lowest cost, followed by double-offset and tripleoffset.
Double-offset butterfly valves have a considerably lower operating torque than tripleoffset, resulting in a lower actuated valve package.

Regards,
MR

All valves will last for years, except the ones that were poorly manufactured; are still wrongly operated and or were wrongly selected

@Danlap

Sorry for less information!

Actually, i am not that much experienced valve proffessional as, i am novice to the valve industries and studying for that.

So, currently i am studying on butterfly valves and for which i started with theories and then i was looking at manufacturer's site (to make a survey kind of thing) and to take a look at different kind of designs of butterfly valves and types of that!

During this surfing, i found that all manufacturer's are providing with an option of centerline butterfly valves and compratively less (comprative to centerline valves) manufacturer's are providing option of double-offset buttefly valves and triple-offset butterfly valves. So, i wanted to know comparative share in different types of applications and industries of this types of valves (because i can get more clear picture about that by discussing it with valve proffessionals then google).

hope that you are now clear about my confusion.

(and yeah, i followed the policy first but google and other sites have large data base and when i get confused in this informations available, i have to ask it to a proffessionals only)

Thank you!

Lead valves towards Industry 4.0

Hi Bharti,

try this one, it is quite simple explanation and provide general market share of the types

For me, this is completely three different design for different application. Even though not all companies have the privilege (yet) to be as big as Cameron or Emereson, but it is a better strategy to segregate the product portfolio. For instance Emerson segregated into: zero and double offset by Keystone ..., triple offset by Vanessa, etc.

The concept of zero offset is still embodied within operator mindset, by that respect many manufacturer and even engineer from end user side is struggling to 'sell' the concept of triple offset.

Kind regards,
MR

All valves will last for years, except the ones that were poorly manufactured; are still wrongly operated and or were wrongly selected

Danlap,, a star to you for patiently replying to a rather very open ended question.

"Even,if you are a minority of one, truth is the truth."

Mahatma Gandhi.

Bharti_,
in addition to the great post from Danlap above, maybe you’ll find some more information by reading these old discussions (yeah, some references should be updated… especially about website links and Company names; but the concepts are still valid, I guess) and new videos:

• thread408-145006
• thread408-64692
• thread408-417101

• thread408-135872

• thread408-183795

• thread408-190488

• thread408-126483

Hope this helps,​
‘NGL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back