Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Apply Heat Flux and Convection to same surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

modeltech

Mechanical
Aug 12, 2010
US
Hello all,

I am trying to figure out how to apply convection and a heat flux to all faces of a 1" x 4" x 1/4" carbon steel substrate during a transient analysis.

I am using solid70 and know that only convection or a heat flux can be applied to each face of a solid70 volume. I tried using surf152 but I don't understand how to tell ansys to apply convection to a surface using surf152 and then also apply heat flux to the same surface using solid70.

Any help with this problem or any examples are greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Off hand I'm not sure that you can apply heat flux and convection to the same surface. Convection says the heat flux is proportional to the temperature difference between the surface and the ambient. Heat flux says the heat flux must be equal to some value. Seems like there may be some mathematical inconsistency there.

It is a program restriction, not a theoretical one. You can have multiple sources of heat flux on a surface, and the FEA program should add them up. Just like having multiple pressure loads on the same surface. In your model, one should be a straightforward constant flux and the other proportional to a temperature difference, and the total flux should be the sum. Having multiple prescribed temperatures at the same point however is a theoretical (and logical) restriction.

Nagi Elabbasi
Veryst Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back