Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Applying a Pressure Gradient in Workbench

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenon2

Mechanical
Oct 20, 2005
CA
How can I apply a pressure gradient as you would see on a gate holding back water?

When I try to edit the pressure it shows "Constant" and the only other option is "CFX Results" I don't have any experience with ansys CFX but I did try to mesh my part for CFX and it wouldn't mesh. Is there any other way to do this? I have access to any ansys v.10 products if there's anything else I have to install.

Regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
pressure gradients are not possible in Workbench by the means of the graphical interface.
However, you can insert "Commands" that are APDL routines just like you would do with "read input from..." in Classical environment.
You have two solutions.

Solution 1:
- create a selection group in WB for the surfaces you want to apply the gradient upon
- create your own macro for assigning pressure values on each node of the selection, directly. You would use cmsel,s,<selection group, i.e. component> to select the desired area selection group, then nsla,s,1 to select the nodes attached to it, then combinations of re-selection commands and *GET commands as well as SF,all,pres,<value> commands until all nodes receive their correct pressure load
- insert your macro among the loads of the analysis case you are running.

Solution 2:
- build up your FE model in WB, and don't forget to create the selection groups for the surfaces to be gradient-loaded. In fact, remember the transfer will descard any geometry (areas, volumes, edges, etc...)
- then export to Ansys Classical via the ".inp" file
- load Classical and finish loading the model there.

Both solutions work; if you are in a hurry, I'd suggest the second one... ;-)

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back